Chapter 50

Calypso's POV:

A silence fell when I enter the stable where all the high ranking officials of Lestrad, Satine and Obiwan, my family and Anakin were holding onto their horses, waiting for me. My cheeks blush but I keep my eyes forward, not willing to shift my gaze to meet anyone's.

I succeeded until I make it to my white horse and I feel Anakin approach me.

"My lady," he bows and kisses my hand. He's dressed up and I blush despite myself, I don't get to see him like this very often.

She looks

She looks... perfect.

I blush at his thoughts but don't acknowledge I heard them.

Anakin helps me up onto my horse before returning to his. My father rides up beside me, Juniper on his lap and Anakin comes up on my other side, Aleksei on his. Obiwan, Satine and Korkie are in a single horse drawn carriage in order to remain all together and my mothers advisers all mount their horses.

We make our way into town and the song of burial can be heard before the city is even in view. The road is littered with rose petals of every color and the singing stops as we stop right before the path of petals.

The song will not continue until I begin to sing.

"Into the great unknown you drift
Why have you gone
To a place we cannot follow
Leaving us here to regain light
In the absence of your sun"

I could hardly utter the words as my throat begins to tighten, but I allow the tears to fall as we began to once again move through the path of petals and lanterns set before us. All the people of Lestrad began to sing in unison, the words of loss and sorrow but of ultimate hope and joy for the life lived, strung together in a bittersweet song.

Everyone besides those on horses will continue towards the burial tomb for a ceremony of farewell. The rest of us are to return to the palace and travel down to The Keep where we shall see our mother in her final resting place.

I try and compose myself but I start to feel faint. I haven't seen my mother since she left Mandalore. I dont know if I can see her, lifeless and cold. Tears silently run down my cheeks and the burial song sung by the people of Lestrad fades as we return to the palace. Im helped off of my horse and Anakin appears beside me, offering his arm to me.

I take it silently and he wipes a tear from my cheek before we walk together into the lower levels of the palace. The walk down to The Keep seems to take an eternity, but it may result from me dragging my feet.

We make it to The Keep, walls lined with extravagant carvings of each past royals final resting place, until we come to my mothers. The door is slid open, a cold emptiness seeping from within. My heart tightens and I begin to take short shallow breaths. I'm panicking, starting to cry and unable to breathe. I lean on Anakins arm, hard. He catches me and holds my face in his hands.