ch. one

❦ chapter one ❦

I NOW understand why some people hate technology. It's nothing but a gag to get people invested into something so much that they gain weight and sit on their sofas until they die. It's nothing but a way for money to be in a rich mans pocket. It's everything the companies tell you not to worry about. It doesn't help you in any way besides keeping your contacts in order. We should have known this from the start. It doesn't protect much: not our pictures, our texts, our personal information.

It doesn't even keep our own secrets private.

"Ow, fuck!" I cursed out, loudly enough for Ernesto to pull away from me. He looked up at me with concern as I straddled him.

"What? What's wrong?" He questioned and I give him a look.

"Where should I start, Ernesto?" I grunted, looking around, "Maybe it's the fact we're making out in the back of my car?" He then looked around the car as I still sat on top of him, clearly uncomfortable. This is definitely not worth a three minute quickie.

"Well, you were the one who didn't want to spend lunch with our friends," He informed me as if I had lost my memory.

I rolled my eyes as he went back kissing my neck, his hands roaming up and down my legs, "Yes, but I was thinking more of the storage closet or an empty classroom.."

"Well you know Isabela and Pablo are in the closet all the time and we would have definitely been caught," He mumbled, and I didn't respond when his one of his hands went further up my thigh, my inner self thankful that I wore a skirt.

Look, I know what you're thinking: 'Ernesto? Really? That's the best that you could do?' And at the moment, the answer is yes. And if your next question happens to be 'how' or 'why', I can only answer one of that.

It all began three months ago when Isa threw a party at her grandparents villa and surprisingly, I wasn't drunk that night to make this decision. But I knew the real reason I hooked up with him that night was for me to get free drugs, I didn't think it would get this far.

I was going to let him continue, but I suddenly pull away to hit his chest, a groan escaping him, "What the actual fuck, Kat?"

"I told you to stop bullying Luis. You didn't think Darío would tell me about what you guys did this morning?" I questioned him, because it suddenly popped into my head. I hated the fact that they bullied Luis for no reason besides the fact that he's quiet. It's all Gerry's doing.

"We're not bullying him," He argued, rubbing his chest as I gave him a look, "Kat, it's all fun and jokes, alright?"

"Is that what you're saying or what Gerry believes, so he could sleep at night?" I questioned and he stayed quiet, so I crossed my arms across my chest, "I told you to stop following that asshole and what he does, Ernesto."

"I'm not following him, he's my friend," He explained and I rolled my eyes before getting off of him to sit next to him instead, officially not in the mood for what we planned. When he noticed, he was quick to try and reach a hand out to me, "No, come on, babe! Don't be like this!"

I glared his way, "Luis doesn't deserve to be treated that way, and you know it."

Ernesto then groaned before flopping back in his seat, running his hand through his hair, "What do you want me to do, huh? Gerry isn't going to listen to me, and if he did, then he'd probably treat me like shit too."

I scoffed, "No, then that shows you're a good person and not just some dog to someone just because you're afraid to lose them as a friend." Without his response, I left the car and stood outside to look at him as I pulled my purse onto my shoulder, "Let's go back. I'm supposed to help Raúl with his assignment."

He reluctantly got out the other side of the car and shut the door so I could lock it. We walked back into the main area that everyone hung out at during lunch or study hall. Our school was surprisingly large compared to the others in the district. I guess you could consider lucky since we don't have to nip into each other on our way to class unless it's a right or something.

"Hey, where the hell did you guys go?" Was the first thing Ernesto's best friend, Gerry, asked us, "You guys were fucking or something?"

"Why, do you wish it was you instead, pendejo?" I retorted and he smirked.

"I mean, if you're offering.." I only rolled my eyes and sat near Raúl as he met my eyes.

"Where did you go? I was supposed to copy your work, remember?" He wondered and I nodded, going in my purse to pull out my folder.

"I had to speak to Rodrigues real quick," I lied, handing him my work, "She tried to give me a 70 for work I did already." He hummed as he began copying my work, not even listening to our group of friends as he did.

"What's up with Rosita?" Natalia asked us after looking behind us to see Rosita approaching us, "She's coming. Is she sitting with us?"

Before anyone could give her a full answer, Rosita approached Gerry, instantly knocking over something as she stood in between his legs. I couldn't help but gag as they began to make out in front of us.

"Gerardo," Nat called to him, also disgusted, "Gerardo, stop it! If you're going to do that, find someplace else to do it."

I was about to agree, but felt Raúl tug on my skirt, making me look at him, "You look nice," He randomly complimented and I raised a brow.

"Thank you?" I smiled mid question because that's how Raúl, my best friend, was. He is the closest person I know in our entire group and I'm glad because I don't really talk to anyone else- not including Ernesto.

He nods, smiling back at me briefly before looking at Natalia as she continued to make Rosita leave, "If someone sees you here, they'll think anyone can sit with us."

I raised a brow at her and I glanced down at Raúl, his facial expression mimicking mine. Rosita then stood up, pushing herself off of Gerry, "That's stupid."

I silently agree with her, laughing to myself as I dug in my bag again to pull out my bag of cheez-its, watching Rosita purposefully knocking Natalia's bag onto the floor before walking off.

"You idiot! Don't you know how much this costs?" She cursed loudly towards Rosita as she picked up her handbag to check it as if it were her baby.

"Are you jealous, Natalia?" Dario asked jokingly, but quickly shut up when he met Nat's glare. I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry and Nat got together, but Nat is too stuck up to ever want to be with him. Maybe if she was drunk enough, she would.

Before I could dig in my snack, a hand goes in first and I turn to meet Ernesto's smirk, "Um, I wasn't offering."

"Well, you should," Dario then told me, going into the bag next before I pull the bag close to my chest.

"I bought these for myself, pendejos. And I asked you both this morning if you wanted something from the store and you guys said 'no'," I stated, before I felt another pair of hands going in for my cheez-its and notice it was Raúl, "I asked you too!"

"I didn't think about any until now," Raúl explained and I shook my head, finally eating my snack. Can't believe these are my friends.