01| remembered

The day seemed to be hazy, Annika wanted to do nothing but throw herself on the bed

The day seemed to be hazy, Annika wanted to do nothing but throw herself on the bed. Being jobless at the age of twenty three was the least expected thing she had thought about when younger. She never understood why would the most educated person would complain about being jobless but then she never discovered the other side of the world, the cruel world.

Maybe she never knew how the world worked, she was never a corrupt. "Why haven't you eaten Aloo Partha till now? Is it that bad? Did I add extra salt? Oh wait, did I use the spoiled potatoes?"

"Maa, there's nothing wrong with them. I just don't feel like eating anymore" Radha Raichand forwned at her daughter. "What happened beta? Are you alright?" The question caught Annika's attention, was she supposed to tell her mother that she wasn't receiving any positive response from the job interviews or was she supposed just shake her head and tell her mother that everything was alright?

"I'm fine Maa, don't worry. Wouldn't want you to have dark circles under your eyes now, stop worrying unnecessarily" Radha couldn't help but sigh out. If her daughter says she was alright, nothing was there to worry about then. Annika saw her mother get up and leave towards the kitchen.

Graduating from best Culinary School in Mumbai, Annika had hoped to get accepted in an company's catering service. But getting rejected in the interview round, she was nothing but disappointed in herself. It was hard to believe that once she had a stress-free life.

Before Annika could pick up the Paratha and eat it, she heard the main door to the house open. "Anni, what's up" The voice startled her, she was expecting to see her father but there were his two older twin brothers. "No way" Annika got up from her chair, running towards the two of them.

Standing in between the two of them, she hugged them tightly by throwing her each hand around their necks. "I missed you two so very much" Annika sniffled, tears rolling down her cheeks the next moment.

Ayaan and Aryan both smiled from ear to ear. "Stop crying chikoo before I really hit you hard and you start to cry a river" Aryan threatened, wiping her tears from her face. They both had been staying in Delhi for their jobs for an year now and they occasionally came back in here, in Mumbai.

"Maa, this isn't fair, you did not tell me they were coming" Annika whined while she shouted. Ayaan hit the back of her head lightly. "It was us who told Maa not tell you about our arrival. We wanted to surprise you" At that Annika just pouted. But still she was happy to see her brother's back after so long.

"Tell me chikoo, how have you been?" Ayaan asked, his gaze fixed on his younger sister. "You should eat Aloo ke Paratha, Maa just made them" Annika passed the plate to Ayaan who had a frown on his face. "Don't divert the topic, don't I know you?"

"I am good Ayaan Bhaiya. You can see me, I am standing in front of you" Annika muttered, transferring her eyes from her brothers hard gaze to somewhere else. "Chikoo, look at me in the eyes and tell that you're really fine" Annika gulped down at those words, how was she going to handle the two of them.

"I am fine, really" Ayaan held back his breath for some seconds and realesed his breathe as soon as he heard her. But still, her eyes hadn't met his. Aryan who was silently watching the two of them, walked ahead towards Annika. "We can read through your lies, we know you are unemployed and haven't getting any positive response from the interviews you have been giving"

"How did - "

"We are you're brothers Annika, we know everything" Ayaan responded, his hands on his either sides of his waist. "Listen, we are here for you, always"

"Don't tell Maa please, she will be worried" Annika requested. "We won't, trust me" Aryan responded, he knew better. It would be a shock for Radha Raichand to know that her daughter is been rejected by different companies. "What about Dad, does he know too?"

"I don't think he does, if he did, he would have asked us straight away" Annika sighed out, the only thing she had told her Maa and Dad was that she had applied in different companies for job. Maybe she was lacking somewhere, it had been three months since she was kicked out of her last company, not literally but them she couldn't understand where she had gone wrong.

Money, she loathed the power that came along with money. Maybe it was because of certain someone who had the audacity to make her life twisted in ways she never understood. Nothing less, she did not regret anything she had done in the past.

ミ★

"Maa, no, I am not getting married" Annika whined, her eyes lazily looking at the photographs in front of her. Radha looked dissapointed at her daughter's wish, she knew Annika was young and wanting to make a career right now but she also wanted her daughter to get married.

"Maa, Maa, I just wanted to tell you - " Ayaan bounced up and down as he said those words but before he could continue, a hand was placed on his mouth by Aryan. "Stop acting dumb" Aryan muttered to his twin brother who was younger to him by two minutes. Ayaan tried to speak but in vain. "Ayaan, stop troubling your brother" Radha stepped in, her grown up kids acted so immature at times that Radha wondered if they were still five years old.

Releasing Ayaan's mouth and taking his hand back, Aryan muttered something incoherent under his breathe. "So I was telling that Aryan finally has a girl - "

"He means to say that I finally have started to like garlicbread" Annika raised her eyebrows seemingly at the two of them. Ayaan frowned, it was not something he wanted to say but he wanted to expose his brother. "Maa, he is ly -"

"That's enough of your nonsense Ayaan" Aryan huffed while cutting him off again. Radha shook her head at both of them, why were they acting so weird, she thought. "Aryan, Ayaan, what had happened to two of you?" A question that had both Annika and Radha wanted to seek answer for.

"I am alright but I guess Aryan is in lo -"

"Can you shut the fuck up?" Aryan shouted at Ayaan.

"Aryan, language" Radha glared at him, there had to be something which had happened to both of them today. "Let your Dad come back home, I am not sparing the two of you tonight"

"Maa, it was all him" Ayaan pointed at Aryan while he narrowed his eyes. The table was still full of pictures of various guys, Annika could tell no one caught her attention till now. As Aryan and Ayaan continued to fight, all Annika could think about was those blue eyes that kept haunting her, was she ever going to forget his face or the days she spent with him? No, certainly, never.

"We are going on a cruise to Goa in two days, remember Annika? I told you on the call a week ago" Her attention shifted back to Ayaan's voice. Nodding her head at him, she got up. "Maa, I am not interested in getting married right now. You can keep away the photos"

"But Annika - "

"Maa, if she says she isn't comfortable getting married now, let her be. I will talk to her" Aryan muttered to Radha while she could only nod and see the retrieving figure of her daughter.

ミ★

Writing first chapter is really difficult. Anyways, if anything in the first chapter isn't clear till now, it will be in the next coming chapters.

Till then, stay safe.