Chapter 14

“Terri is going to like you a whole lot,” Brendan said, tipping up his glass before taking a drink. “She might not even want to go home as often as you’re paying her to babysit. You know you pay her like five dollars extra an hour, right?”

“I would think it’s just spending money to her,” Marc grunted, flagging down the bartender for himself.

Brendan just hummed. “Well it’s all money she gets to spend on more art supplies, or clothes, who knows.”

“What were you talking so much with that student the other day?” Marc was curious. He knew sometimes he heard about teachers having to report things, but he’d never thought about that when he had been in high school.

“They’re just having a hard time, and I’m trying to help them through it,” Brendan answered vaguely. “I don’t really want to overshare.”

“Got it,” Marc muttered, trying very hard to not sound disappointed.

“I’m glad to be that person, though,” Brendan went on. “My art teacher in high school was amazing… when I told her anything she always tried her best to help me—letting me stay in the art room whenever I wanted, just being there to talk, so on.” He paused and chuckled. “Then when I graduated we became actual friends, which was weird, because then she started opening up about herself as well and it was awkward. I also then realized I was an adult and not her student anymore.” He laughed.

“You think you’ll be like that with some of your students here?” Marc asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe. I already have a loyal following that’s establishing an art club just so that they can hang out in my room once a week after school,” Brendan laughed again. “I don’t really mind though.”

“None of the teachers were like that when I was a student there,” Marc admitted on a sigh. “Otherwise maybe I would have actually talked to someone.”

Brendan elbowed him in the side. “Oh don’t sound so doom and gloom about it. Things are at least better now, and hey, we both made it.”

Marc snorted. “A little worse for wear, but true.” He took another drink and set his glass down. “I actually started seeing a therapist like you suggested.”

“Oh, nice. That’ll be good for you,” Brendan said. “Have you had any mind blowing realizations?”

“Maybe.” Marc stared down into his glass. He hadn’t even exactly said the words to Dr. Sterling, much less Brendan, but… “We’ve been talking a lot about my relationships with people.”

“You don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to,” Brendan chimed in quickly. “I’ll never ask unless you want to tell me something.”

Marc paused, letting himself smile slightly. “Well I’m trying to tell you something, aren’t I?”   

“Go on, then,” Brendan allowed with a wave of the hand.