15. locked up [🔒]

A crash of thunder and lightning spread across the dark evening sky as the pouring rain hits your skin. You glanced at your surroundings, as you attempt to escape the shadows of your nemesis who watched you with a keen eye. He had to make sure that you weren't making any subtle plans against them. 

Small squeaks of rats filled the dark alleyways as you ran swiftly through them, whilst occasionally stepping on puddles of water.

As your cloak was being blown by the wind, it revealed a silver glinting metal that was sheathed onto your side.

You took off your hood to reveal your face, as lightning struck behind you, thinking you only had one goal set in mind.

You had to steal Corona's priceless treasure.

You promised yourself you wouldn't return to your life of crime. Thieving and taking advantage of people just didn't seem to fit in with you anymore. You escaped from your abusive mother as a child which led you to resort into stealing that helped in keeping you alive in what seemed to be a dim and lonely world.

That was until you met an old and sweet merchant. You were about to steal a loaf of bread from his bakery, until he caught you. 

You thought he was gonna punish you, call the guards, or keep you as a slave. He gave you a roof over your head and never left you hungry again. He was like a father to you. 

You thought you were finally free from your past, but it caught up with you. The Baron had found you. You had some run-ins with him when you clashed against his band of thieves, stole their loot and injured his daughter Stalyan in the process. He held your father captive and this mission is the only way absolve you of your problems once you pay him back.  

You sighed as you arrive at the edge of the forest as the tall trees surrounded you. The storm was still raging on, but you couldn't let that stop you.

A few years back while you were taking a break from your shift at the bakery, you headed down to the forest to get some peace and quiet to read through a book you borrowed at the library. But as you sat down on the lush green grass, you heard voices nearby. 

You peaked over a bush as you saw 4 guys exit once large tree. One was a boy who seemed to be too young to be bald at that age, one who seems to be going through a rough puberty, while the other two were just weird as hell. Seems like the two twins were having mood swings.

You overheard their conversation about escaping the castle dungeons, which meant that the tree was a secret passageway to it. You tried to forget about that piece of information so you wouldn't be tempted to use it.

Thank goodness you didn't, cause you'd be dead if you forgot.

You approached the great big tree, it's leaves rustling in sync with the clap of thunder. You squinted as your eyes tried to adjust in the midst of darkness that devoured you as you entered the tree.

The smell of murky puddles and the sound of dripping water began to seem normal to you as you walked through the dimly lit tunnels. The torches that hung on the wall guided you as to where you were going, but the feeling of uneasiness grows as you didn't know what kind of traps you might suddenly set off.

You noticed that cobwebs and dust covered each passageway as you finally arrive at seems to be a dome, surrounded with boulders with a ladder in the middle. It seems to be leading to an upstairs room, somewhere in the castle.

Walking towards it, you prepared yourself to face whatever it may be that rested in the room above you.

You open the hidden door and step foot inside the room. Assuming a defense stance, you scanned the room for other people who might be in there with you. You noticed as you looked around the room, you weren't just in any ordinary room. You were in the Royal Vault!