Chapter 1: She is beautiful

"Why are you not dancing?" Asiya asked, for about the 15th time in an hour.

"Because I can't dance. I have two left feet and they don't coordinate well with each other." I smirked.

"It's your best friend's wedding and you are standing in a corner for hours, staring into space. Come and enjoy yourself. Nobody is a professional dancer. Everyone is just grooving along to the beats and I promise to teach you how to stay on your feet" she replied, looking expectantly at me.

 Everyone is just grooving along to the beats and I promise to teach you how to stay on your feet" she replied, looking expectantly at me

And I winced, internally. Neither was her brother my best friend, nor was I interested to be taught anything by her. To be honest, I don't know what a friend is or how friendship works. In the last fifteen years, I have never had a person care about me without them having expectations from me. And that's fine with me - I have business relations with humans. I only interact with people who help me reach my aim. And right now, Asiya & her family is a step which will help secure my goal. 

I think they are nice people, nicer than me anyway. Her father, whom I call Ghori Uncle, benefits in his business because of my clever mind & shrewd decision making. But, he doesn't know that his alliance with me has brought my mission within my hand's reach. I am a master manipulator and I have a face that can even charm the devil. Over the years, I have learnt the art of using my brain and my appearance to get out of several tricky situations . I am not ashamed of any of that, but I know that my eyes can't hide my truth. My mom always said that my eyes were an open book and a mirror of my emotions. But, when I look at the mirror today I see a pair of cold emptiness staring back me; because that's how I am - empty & cold.

"Are you even listening to me? Can you teach how to stare into space, so that I can keep you company?" Asiya asked, nudging me.

Once again, she was wrong. I was not staring into space. I was staring at her - the reason why I came to the wedding party. She's dancing and chatting with her friends. I am not a stalker, I swear. I am her stalker - okay, stalker is a harsh word. I just look out for her and keep a careful eye on her. I knew she would be here, because I have watched her every move for the last eight years. 

"Asiya, you need to go and help with the festivities

"Asiya, you need to go and help with the festivities. I will get myself a drink and join the dance floor soon" I walked off, without giving her a chance to speak back.

I reached the drinks counter and ordered a drink. There was a napkin stand overflowing with wads of paper napkins. I pulled out a pen from my pocket and startes sketching. Sketching and talking to my dog, Sheru are my stress-busters. I don't like crowds - I feel uncomfortable and a tiny bit claustrophobic. I never show it, because I don't want anyone to know about my weakness. Having weaknesses or showing emotions in public can destroy you and that's another reason why I am indestructible. At 26, I am the owner and CEO of A.K. Oil Refineries - a prominent and extremely established organization. And among other things, I have mastered the art of handling my discomfort at public gatherings. 

"Excuse me

"Excuse me. By any chance, are you drawing me? Are you a professional artist, or something?" someone poked at my shoulder and I almost fell off the bar stool.

It was her. She was standing two feet away from me. Wait, what did she say? Drawing her? I look down at the napkin and I see her face staring back at me. My subconscious also doesn't let her go, I thought.

 My subconscious also doesn't let her go, I thought

"Yeah, that's you. I am not an artist, I just sketch when I get bored and I draw a lot of faces. Anyway, this is for you." I folded the napkin and held it out for her.

"You didn't ask my permission before sketching me. That's rude. And you drew my face in 15 minutes - I know because that's how long I was standing here, waiting for my drink & waiting for you to look up from the sketch. That's intense." she said leaning against the bar.

"So, I am rude and intense. And yet, you are here chatting with me." I replied. She had sass.

"I noticed you staring at me, before. And you are staring at me, now too." she continued.

"I was and I am. It's late and I need to leave. The sketch is for you, Noor-ul-Ain. I hope you like it." I said and offered her the napkin again.

Her confused expression almost stopped me from getting up. She took the sketch and looked at me expectantly, asking "How do you know my name?"

 She took the sketch and looked at me expectantly, asking "How do you know my name?"

"I heard someone call you before....when 'you noticed me staring at you'" I winked, quoting her. "Anyway, I really need to go. It was a pleasure meeting you. Stay safe."

I walked away, before she could ask me anything. I got into my car and realized that her presence had knocked me off my game. I also realized that the sketch or the photos on her social media accounts didn't do her justice. In real life, Aina was beautiful. 

***********************************************************************************************

Author's note: I would love to hear your feedback. Your comments and criticism will help me a lot. Thank you!