Chapter 5: She is my happy place

I was in Hell. There was no other explanation for the situation I had put myself in. For the past two months since Aina & I started dating, I constantly had been in her father's company. She wanted him to see how good we were together. I agreed - partly, because I couldn't say no to her and partly, because I wanted Mir Farooq to trust me. 

Over the last 60 days, him and I had traveled together for a business venture, shared restaurant and home-cooked meals, played chess & golf, and been to a picnic together. In front of him, I was a perfect gentleman - the epitome of composed, suave, confident & eloquent. At night, away from the eyes of society I was a beast - lost, angry, wounded, uncontrolled & untrustworthy. Aina had twice picked up on my dual life - she had seen a side of me that I never wanted her to witness. I had shouted at her in my trance, unable to separate her beautiful presence from the murkiness of my past but she never let me go. She knew I had issues - she felt it. I saw her questioning eyes every time I distanced myself from her but her love and compassion always drew me back. But, one day she would leave me - everyone did. 

We were currently at a party Aina had organized for her father's 50th birthday. I was standing at the railing, looking out at the street lights twinkling and the head/tail lights of the cars zooming through the highway. Someone tapped me at the shoulder and I turned to see Mir Farooq Zaman: "Amaan, why are you standing here? Come join the party."

Welcome to my personal Hell. 

"Happy Birthday, Uncle. Don't worry about me. It's your day and you need to enjoy yourself." I smiled.

Someone, nominate me for the Academy Awards. I deserve an Oscar.

"Amaan..son, thank you. I know you helped Aina organize this. She has always been good at management and art, but the confidence she oozes these days...I have a feeling you are responsible for that."

Did he call me Son?

"There is something I wanted to talk to you about

"There is something I wanted to talk to you about. I know you and Aina are close. I see the way she interacts with you & the way you look at her. There's a special bond that you two have and I tried ignoring that for months. But I can't deny that you make her happy, Amaan. She has always been a shy, naive and scared kid. Since her mother passed away, I became her rock. But since you came into our lives, she has blossomed into a lively, chirpy and confident woman. You are perfect for my daughter and I really want you to accept her as your life partner", he said.

Wait....hold up. Pause. Rewind. What? Was he asking me to marry Aina?

"I know it's forward of me to directly ask you. But, I love the way my daughter is around you. I looked into your past without asking you - you had a good family, childhood, education. You are successful and well-mannered & you take care of my Aina."

Of course, he looked into my past and thought I had a great childhood. I knew how to create fake records and clear my tracks, unlike him.

"Uncle, I would be honored but did you ask her what she wants? We have yet not spoken about marriage and I don't want to impose-"