Chapter 2: She is special

Ghauri's house, a week after the wedding:

"Amaan, can you join me at the golf course on Saturday? I want you to meet a friend", Ghauri Uncle said.

"I would love to, Uncle but who is it?"

"Mir Farooq Zaman. He's a successful businessman - a clever man with a heart of gold. Quite frankly, your business acumen sometimes reminds me of him. You seem like a younger version of him", he said.

I almost knocked over the entire jug of water. Mir Farooq Zaman has a heart of gold! I am a younger version of him! What nonsense.. I felt my insides boiling and I could feel my palms sweating. I drank some water and tried to relax. No one around noticed my discomfort but Sheru could feel the change in me. He always did. He strutted over and sat down beside me. Interacting with him always had a calming effect on me.

"He is a widower and lives with his daughter, Noor-ul-Ain. That girl is his life  and I admire their bond so much. All fathers should love their daughters like that. I often get inspired by him", Ghauri Uncle continues.

And I almost snorted at that. Inspired by Mir Farooq Zaman? Good Lord! Asiya saves the day and says, "Aina and I are classmates. She always has good grades and is pretty attentive in classes. But she's pretty quiet and doesn't talk to anyone outside her friends' circle, which comprises of 4-5 persons & me. And she comes to college with guards - it's strange, and I think it makes her uncomfortable", she continues.

"Actually, I have a seminar at your college on Wednesday. The Dean wants me to talk to young students about the advantages and problems in this industry, as a young entrepreneur in this field. It will be good to interact with everyone and see what talent you all have to offer to my company & and the chemical engineering field", I said. I took my business seriously and I wanted to run my company based on merit & capability, not personal favors.

**********

Wednesday, at the college:

I saw her staring at me, the minute I walked into the conference hall with the Dean and other teachers. I ignored her and focused on the 21-22 year old students in the gallery. Most sat up with interest, some with confusion and some with nervousness. But, amidst it all - I felt her stares boring holes at me.