Chapter 4: She is adorable

A few hours later:

She picked up on the first ring and for some weird reason I really liked that she was waiting for my call. Knowing that someone needed me for comfort, support and solace was a strange feeling. And I hate to admit that it was a good feeling. 

Me: "Hello

Me: "Hello. How are you?"
Her: "I am fine now but you don't sound okay."
Me: "I heard your voice. Now I feel better."
Her: "Amaan, I am sorry that I scared you. I panicked an-"
Me: "Stop, I don't care how small or how scary an issue is.. You can always tell me. In fact, I want you to share it with me."
Her: "I said this before.... I trust you, Amaan. I am not saying this, just for the sake of it - I truly mean it from my heart. I don't know why but I feel that you will protect me from everything."

A strange lump was forming in my throat but, I had to ask the question that had been in my mind for long

Me: "Do the people at home treat you well, Aina? I mean, they take good care of you, right?"
Her: "My issues with small spaces don't stem from domestic violence, Amaan. My father's love for me is exemplary. He's my rock and if there was a cure to any of my issues, he would have found it. Believe me, he would walk on glass if I asked him to."
Me: "If there's ever a situation/time when you feel unsafe anywhere in this world, I want you to call me, alright?"
Her: "Will you be around me for that long, though? Don't answer that. Not today. It's late and I should go to sleep."
Me: "Sur-"
Her: "Amaan, is it okay if you hold the line while I fall asleep? My father's out of town and I-"
Me: "No explanations, Aina. Go to sleep.. I will be here."
Her: "Good night. And thank you."

Within minutes, I could hear her breathing calming into even spans. She had fallen asleep but she had left me shaken. I wasn't supposed to feel this way for her; but I did. I liked her - I wanted to keep her close, hear her laugh, listen to her worries and win battles for her. But how could I? 

 But how could I?