Chapter 6: Throwback part 4

Sunday 2nd December 2007

Benji's POV:

Lucy never spoke to Isaac about her feelings that summer and I too never spoke about mine either.

Mainly because I thought it was too soon but also because I was scared. So scared of rejection and ruining our friendship but now it was near Christmas and both of us were 13 and I still hadn't told her. I didn't know how to bring it up.

Maddox had been nagging at me to do it for ages but I just could never bring myself to actually tell her and anytime I did get close I would chicken out.

And so now I sit with my father and best friend watching the footy on tv whilst getting lectured on about girls and how I should just own up to Lucy about my feelings for her.

"Son how long has it been now that you've liked this girl?" he asks with a skeptical tone to his voice.

"A year and a half," Maddox answered for me.

My father let out a low whistle with a slow shake of the head "that's a long time Benji and you have never told her how you feel?"

"No, because there has never been a right time," I say through gritted teeth for the umpteenth time this evening.

"Yes, but what is stopping you know? she hasn't got a boyfriend anymore!"

"they only broke up just before summer and I don't think Lucy is fully over it yet,"

"Oh my god, Benji you know that's not the truth now stop bullshitting. Its time to tell her and you know it!" Maddox practically yells at me now.

"How though! I've tried but I can't do it!" Now I'm yelling back at Maddox.

"whoa, both of you calm down. There are other ways you can tell her you like her but you just have to get a little creative,"

"what do you mean?" I reply, confusion written all over my face.

"Well, you could maybe write her a letter?"

"A letter?" I ask, not sure if I heard him correctly.

"Yeah, why not?" 

Before I can tell my father what a bad idea it is Maddox buts in.

"That's a really good idea! she would love that!"

"Really? You think so?" 

"I know so!"

I consider it a little bit before I get up from the couch to head to my room.

I'm going to write Lucy a love letter...

*

*

*

Ok so writing a love letter is not as easy as it seems.

I know what I want to say... kind of. But it's trying to make it make sense that I am having trouble with.

I don't want it to sound cringy I want it to sound cute I think?