N a i l p o l i s h

Song for chapter Come on Eileen ~ Dexys midnight runners

Song for chapter
Come on Eileen ~ Dexys midnight runners

***

Back to school was always hectic in the Morrison household. Madeleine being the procrastinator she was had put off packing her trunk all week and was now running around like a headless chicken trying to pack. As she tried to stuff just one more sweater into her trunk and tried to decide which nail polishes to bring her sister sat on her bed crossed legged watching.

"How come I can't come to Hogwarts with you?" Clementine asked pouting her lip.

"because Clem..." Madeleine started struggling to fit one last pair of jeans in "you're not old enough, in a few years you'll get to go too." Clementine frowned but didn't complain, instead she continued stroking Sammy - the family dog who was sprawled out on Madeleine's bed getting it covered in dog hair. "Right I think that's everything, go downstairs and tell Dad will you Clemy?" The older girl asked standing up. Clementine nodded and hopped of the bed skipping downstairs.

Making sure she was gone Madeleine opened the door to her bedside table and reached behind her collection of fashion magazines pulling out two bottles of Firewhiskey. She places a finger to her lips and whispers a 'shh' to Sammy, before hiding them in the bottom of her trunk.

Taking one last look at her room the girl made her way down the stairs tracing her fingertips along the bannister, trying to memorise every part of the house. She looked at the pictures hung in the hall - some magical, some not and smiled. There was pictures from her and Charles's first time going to Hogwarts, a picture from Charles's graduation, her first piano recital (a hobby she would miss while at school) and even her mother and father's wedding photo. Reaching the bottom of the stairs she picked up Sammy, saying goodbye to the dog before handing him to her dad and heading out the door.

Charles had returned to his job in France so it was only Angus and Clementine seeing off Madeleine from Platform nine and three quarters that day, but she didn't mind. She gave both of them one last hug then boarded the train - to start her sixth year of Hogwarts.

***

The sorting ceremony was always a long and boring one. So the four girls tended to spend it whispering about who had "glown up" over the summer instead, occasionally clapping when someone was sorted into Ravenclaw.

The group were sitting between Cho Chang and her friends (who Madeleine liked and happily hang out with at parties) and Roger Davies the Ravenclaw Quidditch captain (who spent the whole time flirting with July).

Another school year had started and Albus Dumbledore was giving the same boring old speech he did every year....

Or so she thought. Madeleine was brought back to reality after Portia had gracefully slammed her fist on the table and "whispered" an objection to the announcement that their Headmaster had just made.