C h r i s t m a s T r e e s

Song for chapterFairytale of New York ~ The Pogues feat

Song for chapter
Fairytale of New York ~ The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl

***

After weeks of anticipation the night of the Yule Ball finally arrived. In the past couple of days everybody had begun preparing, each girl had their dress picked out ready to go, Madeleine witnessed a hair disaster when two fourth year Ravenclaw's attempted to use a spell to curl their hair, the highlight however was being taught to dance by Professor Flitwick.

It appeared dancing was not one of Madeleine's talents, it seemed that the ballet lessons she took as a child had been a waste of money, as she spent most of the lesson staring at her feet in complete confusion. Her friends unfortunately hadn't been much better either; Alice was graceful enough but was too shy to actually hold onto any of the boys properly. July messed around the whole time and after attempting to recreate the dirty dancing lift with Portia, was told to sit out. Portia tried her best but had very little control over well... anything. To be fair, telling a beater to waltz without tripping over her own feet was a big ask.

Madeleine stared at herself in the Bronze mirror that hung on the wall of their dorm. She was wearing a lilac slip dress which was made of satin, the fabric had an iridescent quality to it which sparked in the low light of Alice's favourite candle. The dress had small accents round the bust and fit Madeleine like a glove, she remembered being a young girl and watching her mum wear this dress on special occasions. Being a muggle design, the dress wasn't anything spectacular compared to July or Alice's dresses, but to Madeleine it was special. When she had slipped the dress on for a moment she swore she could still smell the scent of her Mums perfume on the fabric - it was like wearing nostalgia.

Madeleine's hair was styled into a low bun thanks to Alice and she'd swapped out her iconic red lipstick for a simple nude. After unsuccessfully attempting to sneak out wearing her converse, Madeleine was forced into some basic heels (which would be coming off at some point during the night.)

The four girls made their way towards the ball together, and walked arm in arm down the staircase leading towards the great hall.

"Hey, there's Fred over there." Whispered Alice when they made it to the bottom of the stairwell.

"Actually that's George babe." Laughed Madeleine after looking over in the direction that Alice had gestured to.

"Oh." Replied Alice, her brow creasing in confusion. "Why do they have to be so similar looking!"

"Trust me, if Fred hadn't told me what he was wearing I would have mixed them up too." Sighed Madeleine with a laugh.

"Speak of the devil." Said Madeleine, after spotting Fred walking towards her.

"There you are Morrison!" Said Fred as he approached the pair "I was beginning to worry you'd ditched me!"

"I would never!" She laughed linking arms with the Gryffindor.