━𝟏𝟖

𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒊𝒂 (𝒏.)- 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒅, 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕, 𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇, 𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆

THE DOOR TO LOKI'S MIND OPENED FOR HER and Artemis was immediately sucked through.

It was almost like a violent assault, being brought into his mind. The only time Loki had ever used that sort of magic was to invade her mind and place false images and sensations in her psyche, but the experience of being completely immersed within him was different.

Through his eyes, she saw their first encounter when she punched him and she felt all the shades of anger within him- especially the many vivid threats he had come up with. She felt his violence and the growing need to set her aflame from the inside out.

"That was for my uncle, you bastard!"

She also realized how much that punch hurt and gave herself a mental high five.

She felt a tugging at the back of her head and, almost as if being stuck in a whirlpool, another memory surfaced.

Loki was sitting in his cell in Stark Tower and she wanted to laugh when she heard herself telling him off and it was a surprise to her that Loki had actually considered her words carefully, embarrassed that she had called him out and terrified that she had made him reexamine himself.

"You do this to justify yourself as the victim and make you feel better about being such a little shit!"

Then, in quick flashes, she saw every conversation they had during his time locked up. He had never shown her any of the emotions but she could feel them in his head; amusement, disgust, annoyance, admiration.

"You think you're scary? I hunt scarier buck than you for breakfast."

"Little prince, it's just a quesadilla! I'm sure you'll like it."

"You're not a bad man. You actually suck at it."

With an almost painful tug, she saw him walking to the door of their motel room their first night together, determined in his mind to leave until he heard her snores. She watched his fingers linger on the doorknob before he turned and crawled into bed with her.

In any other situation, she would be highly creeped out, but she found that he had held her with admiration and awe.

In more flurries and more memories, she saw a transformation. Every new memory was softer, kinder, and warmer. Every time she spoke, he listened. Every time she turned around, he watched her.

Then, it focused on the night before.

"You helped a lot, Loki. Really. I feel great...thank you."

She couldn't help but smile as his mind filled with pride and humility. He was overjoyed that he could ease her pain, and he had wished that he could have extended that moment into infinity.

She was pulled out of his mind slowly, the little tendrils loosening their grip on her, soothing her pulsing mind, almost as if trying to meld the strain of being mentally connected with a god.

She looked up at him with a gasp, bringing her hand to her chest as she regained her bearings. His emerald eyes were lit with uncertainty and expectation and his lower lip trembled.