03 I yeah, no

Chapter 3

We had filed the report and were on our way to Jace's address. The sun had set, and it'd become dark outside. Not really the best time to invade an area filled with gangs. Like I cared, I was five minutes away from Jace, and whatever stood in between could go to hell. I wanted to crawl in the familiar warmth of my brother's arms, right after I beat him up.

"Whoever you're tracking down, are you sure you can trust him?" He inquired and turned his head to face me. He had a hint of concern and apprehensiveness on his face.

"I can trust him with my life," I said with conviction. He nodded slightly, not believing my words. Even I wouldn't believe myself if I was in his place.

He then stopped the car, and I threw a quizzical look in his direction. "If we drive around in the car, it'll probably get us unwanted attention. So it's better to remain inconspicuous and walk the rest of the way." I didn't want any damage to the beautiful car.

I was weird like that. I got more attached to objects, movies, and music than people. Because unlike people, these things didn't disappoint. They could meet your expectations and not abandon you.

"That's cool with me," I said nonchalantly, he sighed at my reaction. For the record, I was back to being me. Cold, rude and snarky. 

After my dramatic display earlier, it had dawned on me about how open I'd been with Adrian. But, as much as I had cherished speaking openly and feeling free, I couldn't afford to do it. To open up only to never meet again. Alternatively, I could just enjoy the time I had left with him and let myself be happy with the memories. But then where would that lead me?

I was broken out of my reverie when Adrian grabbed a hoodie from the back of the car and chucked it on my lap. I raised my eyebrow for an explanation. "Wear this, so you don't draw too much attention," he answered. He couldn't be serious, there was nothing even remotely attention-seeking about my outfit.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked while looking down at my outfit. I was wearing my favorite pair of skinny denim jeans with a white off-shoulder top with flowing sleeves. I had paired the outfit with my brown ankle-length boots. It was probably the most decent outfit I had worn, apart from the business attire I had to wear at Whitmore Co. 

Adrian's eyes followed mine. He looked me up and down with a heated gaze. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bothered by his eyes trailing over me.

Adrian cleared his throat, and we both broke out of the trance. "It's just too right, that's the problem." I scoffed at his reply but didn't bother arguing and complied with his request. I removed my seatbelt and then lifted my arms to wear the hoodie.

On wearing it, I turned towards Adrian, whose eyes were blazing with some unnamed emotion. He gave me an appreciative stare, and I internally smirked at his reaction. I had finally managed to affect this boy as he had affected me. 

"Happy now?" I asked sarcastically, and it was Adrian's turn to smirk. He pulled the hood on my head and tucked my hair inside. I sucked in a breath when his hand grazed my neck.

"Ecstatic." He grinned at me like he had won the lottery and flashed me with his dimples. I was borderline obsessed with his dimples. "Come on, let's go."

He moved to grab my hand. But on seeing my raised eyebrow, he raised his hands in surrender.

Five more minutes. I chanted in my head. And then we'd be mere strangers.

Five more minutes to evade his charm. I could do it. 

Five more minutes and I wouldn't look back.