zuko | a late night swim

fic summary - that time a late night snack turns into a confession & an accidental swim
warnings - this fic contains cursing & a bad pun by zuko

for a late night in the fire nation, it felt oddly cold. you stepped out of your assigned room at zuko's childhood home in your sleeping gown and tiptoed outside to avoid waking up everyone else.

as soon as you made it onto the stone steps you felt a cool breeze brush past you, a sensation you were grateful for in such a warm climate.

you were still getting used to the warmth and heat that came with such a country, a place so different to the water tribe you had lived in before.

quietly, you made your way over to a sleeping appa and grabbed a small satchel containing various rations of food to find the bag was almost empty, a fact that made you and your stomach upset.

"crap," was all you could whisper as you placed the bag down and made your way to a small lake inside the forest.

you weren't a water bender but you were skilled in the art of fishing, a skill sokka would tease you for even though he himself had no fishing talent.

you bent down and placed your hands in the clear sparkling water and prepared to grab the sliver tuna about to come your way.

3...2...1-

"y/n?"

"oh shi- zuko?" you stared at the raven haired teen as he slowly made his way towards you, his tired face slowly appearing as the moon shine on his form.

"what are you doing out so late?" you asked.

he shrugged his shoulders and took a seat next to your crouched figure. "i could ask you the same thing," he said.

zuko watched your hands come out of the water and brush against your sleeping gown. there was a look of surprise on his face as you sat beside him, your head lazily resting on his shoulder.

"i was hungry," you stated. "we've run out of rations so we should go into town tomorrow."

"don't you mean today?" zuko said, attempting to make a joke.

when you didn't answer he continued, "you know...? because it's probably midnight right now so that means-"

you looked up at him amused, "yeah i get it, you're a comedian."

you diffused your sarcasm with a genuine smile and zuko felt his face heat up. he coughed and avoided your gaze choosing to stare at the trees instead.

"sorry, not everyone can be sokka's level of hilariousness," he frowned.

you rolled your eyes, "zuko, he isn't even that funny! i don't even know why i like you sometimes..."

you could feel his shoulder stiffen at your statement. he was silent for a while making you think you overstepped.

you looked down. "sorry about that, i-i'll head back."

you got up and started to walk back to the mansion but zuko grabbed your wrist halting your movement forward.

unfortunately, he pulled you back too rough and you were now moving backwards... into the lake.

you fell in, bringing zuko down with you into the water.

there was immediate panic on his face as he looked at your soaked form, the sleeves of your gown hanging off of your exposed shoulders.

a puff of visible air left your lips as you tried to keep warm. leaving the water would've been a sensible idea but the sight of a shivering and flustered zuko kept you floating in your place.

you drifted towards him, bringing his arms around your torso as you rested your head on his chest.

"s-sorry about that," he whispered, his arms coming around you tighter.

you shook your head, "no it's my fault, i was too forward and made you uncomfortable."

zuko placed his chin on top of your head, "i wasn't uncomfortable, i was just surprised. i've wanted to say the same thing about you but i was to much of a chicken to do it."

you laughed, "what, you wanted to tell me sokka was funnier than me?"

"nope."

you stopped.

"oh... you like me?"

zuko created some distance between you, one of his shaking hands gently cupping your face as he nodded.

"i think you're beautiful, y/n. you're beautiful and intelligent and brave and annoying-"

"shut up and kiss me."

there was a slight smile on the banished prince's face as he slowly bent down to your level where you met his lips.

your arms went around his neck as you pulled him flush against you, his body keeping you warm in the water.

zuko was the first to pull away, his amber eyes gazing into yours as the moon reflected the sparkles in your irises.

he smirked, a feeling confidence or fatigue taking over him. "we should come here more often."

you rolled your eyes pulling him in for another kiss. "after we get something to eat."