azula | my love

summary - that time a 'thief' gets caught by princess azula in the middle of the night (airbender!reader)
warnings - azula ❤️

if you kept to the shadows, kept your breathing even, and your identity hidden - it would be an easy mission.

in your mind you replayed your goal as if to try and drown out your concerns and doubts - retrieve what was stolen and leave. it was simple, you would get aang's glider and escape quickly after.

no distractions.

silently, you crept against the palace walls. the flying equipment was in view, the glider was leaning unwatched against a doorframe.

retrieve what was stolen and leave. no distractions.

you decided not to waste any time, you sprinted towards the item and grabbed it ready to escape the fire palace.

but when you opened the glider, there was a sudden heat approaching behind you.

without thinking, you rolled to the side and looked towards the fire princess with a concealed frown, your mask hiding your face from the attacker.

"azula."

even in the dark, torch lit hallway you could see her as clear as day. her crimson sleeping gown hung off her shoulder and her was a mess like she was tossing and turning around all night.

"oh?" she chuckled wickedly. "it knows my name."

you stayed silent as you watched her movements. wrist flexed behind her back and the other hand resting on her hip - azula was preparing to strike again but her blow didn't come.

"do you have a name?" she whispered, her footsteps coming towards you. "who are you?"

'you know who i am,' was what you wanted to say. you wanted to confront her but you didn't have the time. so you avoided the statement as you edged backwards into the garden.

"are you going to stare at me or can i leave?" you said, readying the glider behind your back. you knew better than to anger azula, trying to distract her would leave you still breathing by the end of the ordeal.

it would also avoid having your identity exposed to her.

she answered your question with a dark smirk, her flexed hand rushing in front of her to send a shot of blue flame towards you.

the rush of heat that travelled towards you was blown away by the swift moment of you spinning the glider.

"an airbender!"

her screech reached your ears as you began to sprint away, trying to remember the way out of the palace.

the courtyard was soon in view, the large stone area with the exit metres away - guards spotting you in anger. you weren't bothered by them though, you were more focused on getting azula of your tail.

"get back here!" azula screamed, flames igniting around her form.

you re-opened the glider, the wooden wings knocking the guards down as you clumsily turned to look at the crazed princess.

"i must go, my love!" you called and immediately you boosted yourself off the ground to fly back to the rest of the gaang.

azula looked up at your shrinking form surrounded by the three guards groaning on the floor, her breathing heavy and fists clenched. but then her anger began to merge into something close to an annoyed curiosity.

"what on earth are you doing, y/n?"