asami | heroism

summary - that time asami thought you were gone forever (summary slightly changed) // requested by @thankyouux
warnings - probably the darkest thing i've ever written & it isn't even that dark? i guess? loss of a limb here folks.

your hands connected with the ground with force, the earth brightening into a familiar red and vibrant black before you sent it towards an approaching guard of enemy mech suits.

their metal legs stilled and melted, smoke filling your vision as you looked around desperately searching for asami in the chaos whilst trying to ignore the bleeding gash in your thigh.

there was a blue figure and a limping green one.

korra followed kuvira through the ruins of the town. you could hear korra's voice even from
the far away distance you stood, the distress clear as she called after the 'leader'.

asami.

you called out for her but your voice came out as a small whimper, the pain in your leg growing and growing.

"shit."

there was no much to do in this moment, the area you were in was practically empty apart from the recent damage you did to kuvira's tech. but when you heard korra's pleas you immediately got yourself moving.

it was a slow agonising but determined stumble as you entered the growth to assist your friend. in the struggle your silver chain slipped out of your pocket with the black ring attached clinkering on the ground.

you had no time to react, no time to pick it up.

all you could hear were korra's shouts as a bright purple light filled your vision. on instinct you created a barrier between you and the beam but it wasn't enough.

everything went dark.

-

a hand. you could feel a cool hand stroke your head, slow and delicate movements up and down. your body felt almost weightless as you tried to shift in the place you currently were.

the strokes stopped and came to your hand giving a gentle squeeze. your movements halted.

"a-asami?"

"you thought it would be a good idea to try and go head to head with kuvira in a state like that?"

her words were soft but the frown asami had on her face was the only thing you could pay attention to in your current state.

slowly and painfully, you sat up with that feeling of weightlessness coming back.

you looked down to see an uneven level in the white blanket over your midsection and immediately you pulled it away against asami's protests.

"that's..." you whispered with shaky breath. "that's unexpected."

a leg, just one - the other amputated by the knee.

your hands came up to your mouth in shock and asami stroked your back, her lips brushing against your temple as you processed the loss of your limb.

a white bandage was wrapped around the base where your knee would've been and the material reached your mid thigh, your fingers gently grazing it carefully.

"toph was a master of earth bending without her sight," you whispered, a small smile developing on your face. "i think i can manage without my leg."

"i could always create a prosthetic for you," asami said. "i know you have a thing for my technology business."

you lit up, "a metal prosthetic? maybe we could use a metal alloy! steel, just pure steel." your wife laughed softly and placed her head in the crook of your neck tired but relieved.

"steel will work," she mumbled. "i'm also gonna need to source some material for a new ring since your idioticy lost the one i made for you."

"heroism," you grinned. "i think you meant herosim."

-
a/n: this one was bad, it's been in my drafts for a week & i couldn't find it in me to write SHIT like imagines take up more time then stupid social media shit but i'll try & do better for you because you deserve IT