Chapter Five

"It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace." Chuck Palahniuk

Blood. There was so much blood. The white linoleum contrasted the deep crimson. It pooled from the dead body. It stained the floor. It covered his knees, and caked on his hands. He didn't care. He was too busy screaming. Too busy crying. He was too busy staring at his dead mother in front of him. He didn't care about himself, because his whole world, had crumbled beneath him. 

Hours before Inko was taking him to get ice cream. It was a weekend and they didn't have much to do. After the ice cream, they went to the park. It was calm. A small pond sat with a family of ducks swimming around. A family was having a picnic under a tree. All in all, it was a nice day. 

Until he showed up. Inko didn't see him, only Izuku. He didn't say anything. But, there was something about him that set Izuku off. He was tall, and was wearing a suit. He whispered something, but Izuku could figure out what. The man stood at the other side of the park. Once he finished what he was doing, he walked into a swirling purple portal that appeared behind him. 

When they got home everything seemed normal. Izuku had no reason to believe anything would happen. Then something did. Inko started chopping up a bell pepper for dinner, when she just stopped. She turned stiffly around. When Izuku looked at her eyes, he saw it. A blank stare, as if dead. Inko then plunged the knife into her gut. 

"MOMMY!!!" He sprinted to her side, as she collapsed to the ground. Blood was already spilling out of the wound. He tried his best to wrap a towel around the wound but nothing worked, Inko Midoriya was going to die, and nothing was going to change that. 

Her eyes were still open. Staring endlessly at the ceiling, even blanker than they were only a moment ago. Midoriya didn't care, he was too busy trying to wake her up. He shook her shoulder, and kept shouting "MOM!" There was no response. A few minutes later, the police arrived. They had gotten a noise disturbance from the neighbors. 

"Kid?" Midoriya turned around at the familiar voice. Eraserhead had been called in in case there was someone with a dangerous quirk. Midoriya rushed into Eraserhead's arms, Eraserhead crouching down so he could hold the kid better.  

"That man... that man in the chair...." Midoriya was mumbling to himself. Eraserhead pulled back, and made eye contact. 

"What man?"

"He... he was at the park. We had- We had gone to- to get ice cream." He burst back into another fit of crying. "I should have said something!" He shoved his head back into Eraserhead's shoulder. 

"We'll question him later, he seems pretty distraught right now," Eraser head picked up Midoriya and turned back to the officers, leaning his head on Midoriya's head.

"Is there anywhere you can go? Someone to take care of you?"

Midoriya's mind flashed to Bakugou, but he quickly got rid of the idea. Like Bakugou would want to see him.  After a moment, he quietly muttered a quick, "No."

"I'll have to check with Mic on this, but.. if you want, you can stay with us." Midoriya's head shot up. 

"Are you sure? I don't want to bother you..." 

"I'm sure, kid. Mic has been bothering me about seeing you anyway. And I don't want you to ever think you could bother me. If you need anything, let me know." He gave a small nod the police officers, and walked back out. They headed first to the Musutafu Police Department to file the paperwork, that Izuku Midoriya would be under Present Mic and Eraserhead's care until further notice, then they headed to Eraserhead's house.