Ch 1: Out of my world and into yours

When you are a mercenary for the Reliable Excavation Demolition team there are two things that you had to keep in mind.

Thing one was that you should always expect the unexpected. Anything could happen on the battlefield. This was especially true when it came to the war between team RED and team BLU. In this war no one permanently died. Someone could be blown up to smithereens, and they would just be brought back to life by the Respawn machine. If a merc got their arm chopped off it could be easily reattached with a Medic's Medi-Gun within a matter of seconds. When death and career ending injuries weren't permanent people were much more willing to try reckless and sometimes clearly insane things to win a battle. It was for all of these reasons that nothing on the battlefield could be truly predicted. The only thing a mercenary could do was expect the unexpected.

The second thing that a mercenary on the RED team had to keep in mind was the fact that Halloween was the day that Merasmus would come to try and cause trouble for the team. The things he did to try and get revenge usually fit in with the theme of the holiday. He tried to get revenge every year to the point that the mercs had taken to marking Halloween as 'Merasmus' day' in their calendars. At some point fighting the old wizard just became a Halloween tradition.

As a member of the RED team Scout had learned these two lessons pretty quick. He got used to the fact that these two things were a part of his life, and like all of the other mercs he lived with it without any issues. Those two things were just part of the unofficial Team Red rulebook.

There was just one problem that he and the other mercs never took into consideration.

What was that problem? Well, the problem was that none of the mercenaries ever considered the fact that the concept of expecting the unexpected could also be applied to Merasmus. To be fair they didn't think he was completely predictable per say. It's just he had a theme and a schedule that he kept to. He usually attacked on Halloween, or occasionally during the week leading up to Halloween. He always used spooky things like giant haunted eyeballs, or equally ridiculous things like that.  He never really deviated from those plans. So honestly Scout could be forgiven for not expecting Merasmus to do anything on the very first day of October.

The day that Scout's life would change forever had started normally enough. He was woken up with one of Soldier's irritatingly loud wake up calls. Breakfast that day had been pancakes made by Engineer, so of course they were good. The mission that day was a simple 'collect the enemy intelligence' job. Scout was an expert at those sort of jobs. The whole time they were gearing up Scout was bragging.

"I'm tellin' ya today's battle is going to be over in a matter of seconds!" Scout boasted to his team as he pulled his scattergun out of his locker. "I'm gonna be back at the base with the BLU's briefcase quick as a flash!"

Spy had rolled his eyes upon hearing that while Engie had just smiled good naturedly. The rest of the team seemed content to ignore the Scout's chattering.

The Texan chuckled a bit at Scout's enthusiasm as he said "Well, it's good to be confidant."

"But it isn't good to be overconfident," Spy had grumbled. "If you take the BLU's lightly they will kill you before you can even get close to their briefcase."

"Screw you," Scout said. "This ain't overconfidence. I know I'll be running circles around the BLU team easily."

Spy didn't comment on that. The man was clearly ignoring Scout now. Scout didn't let it get to him. The second the battle started Scout was off like a shot. He knew the grounds of 2Fort like the back of his own hand. He knew exactly where the BLU team kept their intelligence. He was running so fast toward his destination that his feet were barely touching the ground. He was able to get to the BLU intelligence room within a matter of seconds. A smirk appeared on the Scout's face as he marched into the room.

'I knew this would be ea-'

Boom!

Scout's thought was quickly cut off thanks to a well-placed sticky bomb. Next thing Scout knew he was back in the Respawn Room.