10. Prom

Weeks passed and I still didn't trust myself. I didn't even dare to be around Bella or dad without a pack-member or one of the Cullens near me. I just... I just don't want to risk hurting them, you know? Getting angry with one of them...or them cutting themselves on something... It was frightening to even think about.

Another thing that was frightening was my reunion with the Cullens. Emmet swirled me around saying "Welcome to the family!". Rose just stood there, looking at me with pity but I ignored it. It was not pity I wanted. Esme gave me a motherly smile as she told me that I was always welcome for advice of any kind. Carlisle laughed bitterly but didn't say anything to me. He didn't need to. He clearly didn't want this for me.

And then there was Jasper. He was already painfully aware of what happened. After all, he was there at the hospital with Alice. Yet he still refused to come close to me. He would stand back and keep his distance, just like he did when I was human. He didn't want to come closer as his face still looked pained. I don't understand... I'm no longer human, how can I still hurt him. I cautiously walked up to him.
He couldn't hurt me anymore. What was he afraid of? "Jasper? What's wrong?"
"Stay back!" He took a step away for each step I took towards him.
"No. Talk to me. I am no longer human... You can't hurt me anymore."
"Yes, I can. You still have blood running through your veins."
"No... I don't. That's impos-." I stop myself as I think back to when I took Emily's cut from her.
"What was that?" Edward stands behind me, confusion written over his face. "That memory... what was that?"
"I'm... unsure..." I turn on my heel and walk away while grabbing a knife from their kitchen counter.

"Where is she going with a knife? Mag?!" Both Rose and Edward follow me into the forest, far away from Jasper. We end up at a clearing and I place the knife at my finger, making a small cut. Indeed, blood comes out, confusing all of us even more.
"How... How do I bleed?"
"Maybe... it's part of your gift?"
"I don't... I don't even know what my gift is!" Slight panic was starting to rise inside of me.
"Calm down, Mag. We'll figure it out... I promise you." Rose takes the knife from me and smiles down at me.
Somehow her smile helps me calm down and I slowly nod. "I hope so..."

~~~~~~~~

Tonight is Bella's prom night and I promised Jake to chill with him. We haven't seen each other in a while, yet I'm terrified. It'll be the first time going somewhere without a backup to help me stay in control of myself. I mean... after almost a month I should be able to do this, right?

The living room is crowded as me, Edward and dad are waiting for Bella to come down.
'You better give her the time of her life, Eddy.'
I see Edward cringe beside me at the nickname and I giggle softly in response, confusing dad. "Is there a joke I'm missing?"
I turn to face dad with a mischievous look in my eyes. "Well, yeah. Did you know that Edward is a creep?"
"I'm not a creep..."
"Yeah, you are."
"If anything, you're the creep."
"Am I now? Why?"
"You've been meddling in her business from day 1." I raise an eyebrow at him with a small smirk on my lips.
"You only know that because you have been her business from day 1!" We glare at each other and dad just looks between us with wide eyes. Though it only takes us seconds to start laughing.
"Just joking, dad. Edward is a really cool guy. Actually, his entire family is cool."
"So, you approve of them?"
I look dad straight in the eyes. "Yeah, they have my green stamp."
"Okay... good to know. Considering you pick your crowds carefully."
"Yeah, well.... they are part of my crowd, sooooo...." He simply nods and takes another swing from his beer.

The sounds of clumsy footsteps fill the house and I 'rush' out of my chair to get to Bella. I've gotten pretty good at moving at a human pace. Took some practice but it was worth it.