La Brune Du Les Yeux Des Feu (Attack on Titan AU part 3- Eros)

ACT I, SCENE II

Armin: Hanji was led by the two men over frozen puddles and through more dark alleyways. Lieutenant Mike couldn't help but notice how often they avoided the main road. His leader's evasiveness made him wholly suspicious. What was he hiding from Mike?

Meanwhile, Hanji was brooding silently. Although her 'poor maiden' act was slightly ruined by her impudent actions, she had faith. She deducted from the shapes of the mens' armor and latin engravings on their sword-handles and -sheathes that they had high authority and noble social markings. If she could trick them into believing she was utterly helpless... maybe that 'Capitain' would be her people's ticket out of the hell of Paris and its darkness, its cold nights; its cruel, cruel people-

In fact, she believed she might even convince them to book her a real education. REAL science, from REAL books. No more filmsy tricks with powder and illusions. She wanted to learn things she was taught to put out of her mind.

No, these men were twirled around her little pinky finger. She will do whatever she wants- she was une gitane, no?

Erwin: We have arrived. 

[The three stand before a building of wood and coloured windows. It seems to be a church, but the audience cannot tell from the dark.]

Hanji: I am afraid I cannot spend the night in this posh inn, for my pockets do not sing to the chinks as I walk. 

Mike: Worry thyself naught, for this isn't thy concern.

Armin: In the trio went. By now, Hanji was convinced- these nobles were merely marionettes, their petty strings of silver and chilled steel attached to her quick fingertips. 

If she could get close enough-

Erwin: Allow me to take care of this business. Mike, stay with our... guest. 

[He turns to the corner, his back facing the stage.]

Hanji: Oh, what will you do to me?

Mike: [He looks up] I beg of thy pardon?

Hanji: What foul deeds doth thou keepeth in store for me? What shalt I endure once more this weary nigh?

Mike: As long as interrogations do no harm to thee, thy night shall pass unwearysome.

Armin: Hanji was perplexed. Clearly- bescreened behind reposed being and kind countenance, a sharp and witty lieutenant lurked.

She backtracked.

Hanji: [She dabs at fake tears with a rag] I have done wrong, sire!

Mike: Even so, this is unusual. 

Hanji: What?

Mike: Erwin- he is not half so spiteful to most women as he is to thee.

Hanji: [Bitterly] I know why. I am merely a gypsy. To nobles, we are objects of derision entertainment.

Mike: Alas for thee- but that is not what I mean to say.

Hanji: Then-

Erwin: I have struck a deal with the innkeep- [he falters] what are you doing?

Hanji: I do not wish to stay here, sire.

Erwin: Whereverfore not, Hanji Zoe?

Hanji: My family- I cannot leave them alone. My little sister lies in the gutter, freezing half to death. I need to return, sire.

Erwin: [He smirks] I am not prone to fall for a gypsy's lies. Hanji, thou art held at probatio- although we have recieved yet no reports of Le Policier Capitaine's grave passing- we do not know what to believe. Thou doth no help with thy incessant lies. Do be soothfast when thou art brought to court on the morrow.

Armin: Hanji stood there, stunned. She couldn't understand- who were these people? They are unlike the police force. They can't be the police force. Surely-

Hanji: Sire, do you happen to be part of le Chevalier? and le Gard?

[Mike and Erwin exchange a look.] 

Erwin: I am le Capitaine de la Chevalier et la Gard. Mike Zacharius is le Lieutenant. We are those go venture where le Policier cannot. I do not wish thee to befall in any evil- so listen to our orders. The more honest thou art willing to be, the sooner you shall be set free. If there is one thing I know about gypsies... 

Hanji: What? I dare ye, Capitaine De la Chevalier et la Gard. I dare ye to name this one thing thou knowest about my people. You noblemen know so little, so I shall be much surprised if thou gets this so-called thing true.

Erwin: My dear woman- I know that gypsies do not do well behind stone walls.

Armin: Hanji looked into the eyes of le Capitaine, and slowly she found herself sinking into their true crystal head-first. She fell into a trance. Her head tilted once to the left, and once to the right. Again and again; until she felt claustrophobia closing in around her.  Before her stood brazen questions: what will I do know? they know so much- are they superhuman? 

They shall assisinate me when they know my truth, and I will never return my promise.

Erwin: Thy room is one flight of stairs away. Attempt no escapes, for we shall find thee. Rest well, maiden. Thy absence shall upset thy dying sister.

Armin: Hanji shot back to reality, still dazed and hypnotized utterly. She had seen illusions and tricks all her life- but those eyes, that voice and those deductions... those were inhuman. Unearthly, even. She wanted to know more. She was frightened down to her toes, but our brave heroine's curious gypsy instincts could not be ignored. But for now... her senses were dulled. She walked up the stairs and into whatever room she found. When she lay upon the bed, she couldn't have helped but notice the walls closing in around her.

Le Capitaine was right, after all.

Gypsies don't do well behind stone walls.

(A/N: GAH, I FEEL SO FREAKIN' HAPPY- SO MUCH FEEDBACK FOR THIS PLAYWRIGHT, AND IT'S ONLY MY FIRST! SQUEE! Thank you so much for voting and commenting- you all make my day!

Love, Taz.)