𝐈 | 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐰𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

"Until it was showtime"- Athens

 Gracefully, swinging my leg out of the car, I stepped out into the Spanish sunshine, basking in its golden warmth. The day was alive, crackling with unspoken excitement, carried by the whispering wind. I smoothed down my silk blouse, undoing the top button.

The receptionist was a beautiful blonde, soft-spoken, yet sharp and attentive. I flashed her a fake smile, rubbing my thumb across my watch face. I had to stall for five long hours until the others arrived.

Until it was show time.

I fiddled with the rings on my fingers, exclusively gold, twisting the expensive bands round and round. The hall I sat stretched extensively before.

As far as I could see, priceless state-owned paintings embellished the carved walls; the rich red carpet continued down the gallery. Even the chairs seemed cultivated, made from polished brown wood and cushioned with a soft purple cover.

Glancing back at my watch, I realised only a minute had passed since I last checked. I bounced my new up and down nervously, drumming my fingers rhythmically against my kneecap.

A girl no older than me, strikingly beautiful but seemingly skittish, drew her chair closer to mine. 'You must be here for the interview,' She said whilst smiling softly.

The first thing I noticed was her eyes. They were a dazzling evergreen shade that shone like an emerald under the limelight. She reached out a manicured hand, lacing her fingers through mine. 'I'm Ariadna,' Her smile was infectious; I couldn't help but return her content.

I let go of her hand, feeling a striking loss of warmth. 'I'm Maria. It's a pleasure to meet you,'

We engaged in small conversations, exchanging details and comments about the weather. Alongside the Professor, we had cultivated an extensive fact file about the wonderous Maria Carillo, a fresh graduate looking to expand her horizons working for the State.

Akin to Miss Carillo, Ariadna was also a recent graduate. She was an intern for the administrator, though she shamefully admitted she did no more than a lowly assistant. Just now, Ariadna had returned for a morning coffee run for her boss.

I glimpsed down at my watch, counting the minutes until my interview. 'You shouldn't worry,' Ariadna soothed, setting a reassuring hand on my shoulder. 'I bet you're going to get that job,'

Another blonde, curly-haired woman peered around the corner, calling out my name. Ariadna excitedly pushed me towards her, grinning brightly and waving. I couldn't bring myself to smile. I waved dejectedly and forced my attention back towards the woman beside me.

She explained in short terms the layout of my interview. Greet the administrator, exaggerate the fraudulent resume the Professor had created and finally hope to impress.