CHAPTER 1

Five more minutes.

Just five more and I can finally leave my desk and go home where my beloved bed and books wait for me!

My eyes were glued at the clock plastered just above the black board in front. The noise surrounding me was incoherent as the students began to chatter away with their respective friends and plan about where to go once class ends. Some - however, were already ducking their heads on their desks and snoozing the rest of the day in their dreams.

The useless chatter was beginning to get on my nerves. The teacher was sitting in the front, casually reading a book that titled: How to NOT lose your temper while his students were chattering their hearts away.

How ironic.

It's not that I don't have friends. I just don't really think that having friends is necessary in the first place. I heaved a sigh. Three more minutes.

I turned my head towards the right side of the classroom where – amidst all the incoherent noises, a single empty chair stood motionless.

He still isn't back.

My childhood friend, Aoi who would be my one and only savior in any social circle or event. Unfortunately, the brat got a fever for jumping in the river in the middle autumn.

"Dismissed. Go home straight, you brats."

Finally.

I stood up and quickly walked out of the room without looking back.

After running for few minutes I arrived at Aoi's house. Yep. Not mine.

"Aoi! You in there?"

The house was relatively empty except for Aoi. His mother worked a few cities away while his father was still rotting in jail after being charged by my parents with physical abuse for beating his own son and wife up whenever was drunk. We lived next door and thankfully, my parents cared for him as they would to me.

I heard a faint rustle from the bushes. Reluctantly, I opened the front gate and entered. After sneaking a peek behind the bushes, I knocked at the front door.

I called a few more times before twisting the knob and realizing it to be unlocked.

Why was the door unlocked? Did Aoi forget to lock the door? Was he inside? I better lecture him about safety and security later.

The house was dark and dusty despite the modern layout. It was as if no one lived here in the first place. A couple cans of beer and empty cup noodles were scattered around the floor. I wasn't able to suppress the gasp that was about to escape my lips.

What on earth happened?

I made my way upstairs in front Aoi's room. I was – for some reason, feeling nervous. Aoi was not one who likes to keep his house dirty. So why does the house look like a typhoon went in and messed it up?

Again, I didn't receive a response. Was he really not here? I made my way down the stairs and checked the kitchen. It was empty.

Where was he? I'm worried.

I sat down in order to collect my thoughts and calm myself. My heart was thumping like crazy from the sheer anxiety.

My eyes scanned my surrounding for clues but except for a single book present in the table, the rest was a bunch of junk. I took the book in my hands.

Wishful Promises.

This was the book that Aoi borrowed from me last week. A tragic story of love. I flipped the pages and began to skim the pages.

It was about a princess named Yulia and her tragic romance with a prime minister named Yuan. Both the main characters were in love but due to their complicated pasts, they were unable to have a happy ending. In the novel, Yuan was the current king's adopted son and was tasked to eliminate the heir of the kingdom which was Yulia. Yulia on the other hand, was chasing after her father's murderer who turned out to be the current king. Devastated, the two lovers faced each other as enemies. Fortunately, Yulia had a knight named Haku who was in love with her and supported her in a rebellion against the king.

In the end, Yuan dueled with Haku and killed the latter. Finally, after a few chapters of guilt and anger he chose to side with Yulian and betrayed his adoptive father. Basically, they defeated the king and Yulian became queen but they were unable to be together because of each other's guilt towards the other.

The ending was seriously heartbreaking.

I remembered crying over it a few times before letting Aoi borrow it. Truly a wonderful book filled with betrayals and heartbreak.

But, I wasn't crying over the fact that the main characters didn't end up together. In fact, I couldn't care less. I was bawling my eyes out for one reason and one reason only.

The author just had to kill my favorite character! The second male lead Haku!

That kid didn't deserve to die, seriously!

Anyways!

I shook my head.

This wasn't the time to get immersed by a novel. I need to find Aoi!

I stood up from my chair and walked towards the living room. I have to inform my parents about Aoi's disappearance and the chaotic state of his house.

Stab!

I felt a sharp pain from my back. I turned around.

Aoi was there.

Good. He's safe...

Eh?

Why was he holding a knife? And whose blood is that? Why was he crying?

"Aoi! Did you get hurt? Why-"

Before finishing my words, my knees gave out. Weird. I felt hot and cold at the same time. My back hurts like hell as well. Wait. Is that blood on the floor?

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry", Aoi said while sobbing. He kneeled on the floor in front of me and placed a hand on my cheek.

Why was he crying? Why does he look so miserable? Aoi, my beloved friend who I treated like a brother all this time, had various emotions reflected in his tear-stained eyes. Guilt. Sadness. Anger. Pain.

I had a lot of questions but I couldn't feel my lips moving. I felt all the strength drain out of my body. Am I dying?

"I'm sorry. I'll follow you soon after. I promise. In another life, maybe... Goodbye, my -"

Was Aoi saying something? I wanted to hear the end of it.

But my consciousness was fading.

And everything turned black.