CHAPTER 5

After spending a few hours training with grandpa, I decided to return back home. Haru will probably scold me again but I was fully prepared for it. Huh. He's not as scary as father anyway. I looked down on my dress. It was filthy.

Sighing, I began my short journey from one house to the next, greeting a couple of familiar faces along the way.

A couple minutes later, the familiar scene of our front garden greeted me as if signaling me to prepare myself for a hell lot of scolding. Gulping down the remaining nerves I felt, I quickly opened the door only to be greeted by Haru and Haku who were prostrating themselves on the ground.

Eh?

I turned my head sideways to scan my surroundings. My parents were sitting on the porch looking very serious while Tek was standing beside them with his usual kind smile. Were they waiting for me all this time?

"Why are both of you doing that? Were you scolded?" I asked Haku and Haru.

Haku quickly lift up his head in surprise as if it was the first time he realized I was here.

"You're back! young master, the young miss' back", he said and gently shook Haru's shoulder.

So he just realized?

Haru slowly lift up his head and rubbed the sleep off his eyes. Did he fall asleep while prostrating himself on the ground? I chuckled at the thought.

Five pairs of eyes quickly stared at me as I clumsily tried to hide my amusement.

"Hari/ Young Miss, we're sorry!" All of them said simultaneously – except for Tek.

Eh?

Wasn't that my line?

My father and mother quickly stood up and knelt in front of me. They both looked guilty.

"Haku told us about how you felt. We're sorry, Hari. Your mother and I always thought that martial arts was nothing but a ploy for you to skip your studies but Haku said that you were actually very serious and passionate about it" father explained.

Well, I did skip my studies to train with grandpa because I hated sewing and flower arranging, also I sucked big time at music.

"Hari, your father and I thought about this, if you really really want to learn martial arts, we'll give our consent", mother added.

Literal sparks fly out of my eyes.

"Granted, you will be very careful and you'll have to train with your brother and Haku. Is that understood?" my father seconded.

I gleefully nodded my head.

***

A couple days passed since my parents gave me their approval in training martial arts. Grandpa has been training the three of us ever since.

"Haru, you have good control but too slow. Why don't you try this?" Grandpa said and produced a thick piece of cloth.

"What is it?" Haru inquired.

The old man quickly wrapped the cloth around my brother's waist and the boy quickly sat down in shock which had every one of us laughing.

"Why is this so heavy?" he complained.

"That fabric is filled to the brim with sand. From now on, you train while wearing that. It'll help improve your speed", the old man explained.

So weights, basically?

Haru nodded and slowly stood up to continue his training. Grandpa then turned towards Haku.

"Young man, you're quite the talent. You're the same age with Haru, correct?" he asked.

Haku nodded his head in affirmation.

"I learned martial arts to defend myself and the younger kids back at the capital", he explained.

"It's quite intriguing. Did you learn it from a certain individual?"

"Yes, actually. I met and became friends with a young lord. He taught me and would feed the kids from time to time."

Ugh. I don't know why but all of this sounds so familiar for some reason. I've been feeling a sense of déjà vu ever since I met Haku.

"Well! That's quite nice of him. With a little more polishing, you'll make a fine soldier" grandpa commented.

I agreed. Haru is quite skilled as well but the difference between him and Haku was truly visible. For eight year olds, you can already sense potential from the both of them.

Haku will truly be an amazing soldier...

Now that I think about it...

"Grandpa, I'd like to borrow Haku for a sec", I said and quickly pulled Haku's arm to lead him inside the former's house.

Once inside, I looked back to find an astonished expression written all over his face.

His head was position in a bow with his eyes fixed on the arm that I was holding.

Ah.

I quickly removed my hold from his arm – embarrassed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to invade your privacy", I started.

He then shook his head in denial.

"No, I was just shocked. Young miss, has no fault. Please don't say sorry" he said in a panic.

I smiled kindly at his words. He's such a thoughtful and sweet kid.

"I'd like to thank you. If it weren't for you, my parents and my brother would've never agreed to let me learn martial arts. Thank you, Haku!"

I mustered the biggest smile that I could to show him my sincerity.

He looked shock but the redness that was creeping up from his ears to his cheeks were no doubt a sign that he was embarrassed.

How cute, I thought.

"Young miss doesn't need to be grateful. I just did what I could because I was moved in the passion that I saw from your eyes that day", he explained while covering a part of his face with his arm.

"Hey, I have a request."

"What is it, young miss?"

I smiled. I really wanted to ask this of him the moment he arrived at the village.

"Call me 'Hari'. It's quite uncomfortable to be called 'young miss' by you. I... I want you to be my friend, Haku"

For the first time, ever since this he got here, I saw him smile - and it was as bright as the sun.