CHAPTER 4

It's been a week since Haku, an orphan found by my father and his aide, Tek stayed at our village. He was now staying with Tek who announced to everyone that he was now his son. No one complained since the boy has been helpful and kind the moment he arrived. He's been helping out Tek with his tasks and sometimes he was training with my older brother, Haru. Much to my surprise, he was the same age as my brother and was 3 years older than me. For an eight-year old, he was pretty small.

Perhaps he wasn't eating right before he came here.

In the past few days I have been stalking – err... following him around due to my curiosity. I've been gathering information about him here and there as well.

"Tek and I found him unconscious in a dark alley in the capital. When he came to, he asked us for food", my father told.

"The boy never ate it, though. He quickly thanked us and returned back to the alley and gave the food to the younger children there. He's a good kid", Tek added with a kind smile on his face.

"Yup. Tek here asked me if we could bring him back with us and he'll take responsibility of the kid so I couldn't possibly say no, can I?"

"How about the other children?" I asked.

"We left them to a local church in a town near the capital. Their funds will be shouldered by Haku's salary. Your father and I actually wanted to pay it for him but the kid said that he didn't want to be a burden. He's seriously a good kid", Tek said with a look of pride in his face.

"I see..."

He's just eight but he's already full of pride... He'll be a good person when he grows up...

"By the way, young mistress, why are you interested in Haku all of a sudden?" Tek asked.

Hmm...

Why indeed?

Maybe because of his physical features which is common in my past life? Or maybe the sense of familiarity that I've been feeling for him as if he's somebody that I used to know. Or maybe...

"Do you like him?"

My head quickly turned up to face my father with a look of disbelief plastered all over my face. The former had the nerve to tease me with an amused look on his face.

"Of course not! I'm simply curious! I have no hidden agenda or weird intentions, father! Excuse me, but I must now take my leave", I said but the faint sound of laughter coming from his study was a lot more annoying to hear the moment I stepped out.

My father and Tek seemed to have taking a liking to him.

I stared at Haku who was sparring with my brother in the garden right in front of me.

Seriously, where did all the 'like him' issue come from?

My brother was trained martial arts and swordsmanship since he was 5 but Haku was holding out fine on his own against Haru. His movements were light but quick unlike my brother's - whose movements were focused more on power.

I guess he's learned a few things as well since he used to live in the streets. I kind of want him to teach me a little as well but he'd probably think it was weird for a five-year old daughter of a chief to have an interest in fighting.

"Okay, that's enough for today. You're really quick on your feet, Haku. I'm impressed", my brother praised while wiping the sweat from his forehead using his left arm.

"Thanks, young master. Quite a lot of things I picked up while I was on the streets... By the way, is the young mistress interested in martial arts?" he asked while glancing at my direction.

I quickly sat straight and looked at him in surprise.

How did he know? Was it showing on my face? Oh god, Haru's gonna kill me.

As if on cue, my brother glared at me which I countered with my killer innocent eyes and smile.

"Unfortunately, my CUTE sister is a tomboy of some sorts. She's been practicing martial arts in secret with our grandfather... much to our family's protest", Haru said while shaking his head.

I pouted.

Seriously... why does gender equality not exist in this world?

Haku slowly stepped a few towards me, stopped when he was in front of me and held out his right hand as if signaling me to take them and get up.

"I think having in martial arts is quite interesting, young miss..."

My ears perked up.

"...but I don't think you need to learn it. Your brother and father are sure to protect you, after all", he finished with a smile.

Shame.

And here I thought, he'll understand...

I stood up, ignoring his outstretched hand and looked straight at his jet black eyes.

"Why can't you people just let me be? I refuse the idea of me being a sheltered fragile princess who needs to rely on men in order for her to be taken seriously. Am I not allowed to be able to stand on my own two feet? I don't need to be protected!"

My declaration seemed to surprise both Haku and Haru that no words were said after that. I sighed and began to make my way towards my grandfather's home.

"You're quite early today, Hari. Should I train you now?" my grandfather who was sitting in the porch when I arrived, asked.

A huge wave of relief swept over me. Of course, not everyone thinks as close mindedly as my parents and brother...

"Grandpa!" I exclaimed and quickly hugged him.

"My! Is something the matter, Hari?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Nope! I just miss you, Grandpa," I said, hugging him tighter.

He laughed and patted my head.

That's right. In this world, I may be weird for having a different way of thinking than normal but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong.