CHAPTER 8

With the death of the chief and his heir, our village began to fall into a mass of chaos. Fortunately, everyone agreed to let my grandfather, the chief prior to become our temporary leader but most of the people are still worried for the future.

Our tribe, the wind tribe, is composed by more or less 1000 people whose main source of income come from crops and cloth-making and accessories which we’d trade with other tribes and the capital. There are 4 major tribes which are fire, water, earth and wind. Compared to the other three and the capital, Desperia, our tribe is significantly small. The only reason that we’re considered a major tribe is the fact that we are the main suppliers of very rare accessories made from precious minerals. But in terms of manpower, we were significantly lacking.

“What do we do now?”

“Who will become the next chief?”

“I think it’s time for us to leave and join other tribes”

People of the village began to worry and as the head family of this tribe, we were in a panic. It hasn’t been a week since the burial of my father and brother but grandpa and mother were already busy running the town.
If I remember correctly, the next chief of the village would be Haku. This was decided by Grandpa as he was the only one with the authority to name the next head. Most of the people weren’t quite pleased with this, though. Despite the superior qualities Haku possessed, he was still viewed as an orphan who didn’t belong to our tribe. In order to solve this, grandpa made me his fiancée to get rid of these opinions.

And all of these will happen in 2 years when Haku reaches the age of 12. The age where people are able to work starts at 12. By that age, one must be able to have a career in mind or else they’d start late and end up as nomads.

Nomads are those who are without a tribe. They travel from here and there but don’t really have a permanent profession. Some would even refer to them as outcasts.

I sigh.

I’m just 7 but I already have too much on my plate.

“Are you okay, Hari?”

I turned my head towards Haku’s face filled with worry. For a whole week, he hasn’t left my side. He was always supporting me and bringing me food whenever he could.

But he treats me the same way as he’d treat the “Hari” in the novel – like a precious little sister.

“I’m fine, Haku. I just spaced out a bit.”

2 years.

I have 2 years to change this story’s fate. If Haku becomes this village’s heir, he’ll have no choice but visit the capital every 2 months to report to the king and eventually, he’ll meet her. Princess Yulia, the main character of the novel. The very reason why he’ll die a tragic death.

The other problem is that he’ll become my fiancé.

I stared at Haku. Honestly, getting engaged with him isn’t bad. If I didn’t know the future, I’ll probably be very happy knowing I could get married with someone I could trust. Trust. Yes, I trusted Haku but I didn’t have any romantic feeling for him. Well, not yet anyway. In the novel, it was only mentioned that he had a fiancée in his village who loved him with all her heart. I wonder if I would fall for him as well.

“The state of the village is a little unstable right now, but your grandfather and mother are doing their best. I’m sure everything will be okay. So don’t worry too much, okay?”

I nodded.

He’s right.

I shouldn’t worry too much. Right now, there isn’t much that I can do to help our people’s anxious hearts. It’s not like I have…

Wait…

“That’s it!”

Flinching, Haku instinctively stepped back in surprise at my sudden outburst.

“What is it?” he inquired.

I grinned.

“Haku! Can you take me to Tek?”

“Uh… sure?”

I quickly stood up and followed his lead. Since Tek was father’s aide, he was tasked to be the village’s financial advisor so he dealt with taxes, jobs and all sorts of accounting. Grandfather, who was the chief-prior, was tasked to handle the security in the village and father, the chief handled external negotiations with other tribes and the capital while also running the mine industry which is the village’s primary source of income. Now that he’s gone Grandfather and Tek take turns in handling external affairs while mother deals with the mines.

Upon reaching my late father’s study, Haku and I peeked inside to look for Tek. The study was quite dusty and chaotic. Several pieces of paper were scattered on the floor while the books that were supposed to be on the shelves were now piled on both chairs and table in an untidy manner.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. The study was where my father would spend half of his day and yet it was left in shambles now that he’s gone. Sweeping a finger on the base of the table, I cringed at the visible line it created.

“Everyone became so busy after the chief and your brother’s death. Even my father wasn’t able to tidy the place up. I apologize”

I shook my head.

They weren’t at fault. I know that each and every one of us are doing their utmost best to keep things going despite the heavy feeling we have in our hearts.

“It’s fine, Haku. Since Tek isn’t back yet, can you help me clean this place up?”

“You don’t need to do that, Hari. I’ll -”

I cut him off, “No buts, mister! I will help clean this room. That’s an order.”

I heard him sigh in protest but nonetheless proceeded by picking up a broom and a pail filled with water and a washcloth. He handed me the broom and I took it with glee.

Using my ‘authority’ may seem unfair because Haku and I are friends but sometimes that’s the only thing I can use in order for him to actually listen to me. Besides, I was doing this in order for us to stand on equal footing. The day, he’ll be able to reject my ‘commands’ will be the day we become equals as people.

I smiled at the thought.