CHAPTER 3

"Hari! What on earth are you doing?" my mother asked in a reprimanding tone.

Not that I can blame her really since I did not look like the esteemed daughter of the chief in any way right now. I was drenched from head to toe. My beautiful red dress that was prepared carefully by our servants was torn on the edges and had patches of dirt all over it.

I sighed and prepared myself for a scolding.

It's been 5 years since I've been reincarnated in this world. The horror of spending at least 2 years in the body of a toddler traumatized me so much that ever since I learned how to walk and speak properly, I swore that I'll do everything by myself – much to my parents vehement protest as they were quite worried that I was to clean myself without servants.

Yep, you read it right. Servants. This world where I was reincarnated had a caste system and fortunately, I was born in a rich family. In fact, the richest in our tribe since my father was the chief.

Well... I say 'rich' but our house isn't made of marble, nor does it have the latest technology as furniture. Heck. Technology on earth did not exist in this world. The currency in this world is gold, silver, and copper coins. Our family owns a mine and a fruit orchard that's why we're considered wealthy.

"Hurry and change! Gosh, what will your father say when he sees you like this?" my mother – who just finished her sermon said.

I nodded and went straight to my room. Our house wasn't a mansion. It was made of a strong type of wood and didn't have a second floor but it was very wide. The doors were the sliding type that you'd often see in historical movies and our garden was huge.

I hurriedly took off my clothes and stared at the mirror positioned in front of my dresser.

I look so unrecognizable compared to my past life. I was just an average college student with brown eyes and black hair with a tan skin tone.

But now...

It's the total opposite.

I had white hair as pale as the sheets of my bed and blue eyes the same color as the sea. I looked like a character from those animated movies on earth. Although, it's quite common here. My mother has white hair as well but her eyes were hazel while my father had black hair and blue eyes.

After wiping the visible filth from my face I wore the blue dress prepared by the servants beforehand. It had beautiful embroidered lavenders on the skirt that made it look like it was fit for a princess.

I just finished putting it on when I heard a knock. I quickly tied a loose ribbon and opened the door. There stood my older brother who was 3 years older than me with a huge smile on his face and outstretched arms which I automatically jumped into for a hug.

"Happy Birthday, Hari! My cute sister looks extra cute today", he said whilst pinching my cheeks.

I quickly swatted his hand away. I hate being treated like a child. I'm a full-fledged adult on the inside... though I can't really say that.

"Since your back, that means father is here as well, right?" I asked excitedly.

My brother, Haru and our father would often go to the capital every 2 months to give his reports to king and to conduct business with the merchants.

"Yes, he's already waiting for you outside together with mother but before that, I heard that you haven't been behaving recently. You ruined your dress, didn't you?"

I smiled innocently.

"I don't really know what you're talking about, brother. I just accidentally tripped and fell on the lake that's why my dress got ruined. An accident!"

He shook his head in disbelief.

"Then why is your dress torn on the edges if you just fell off the lake? Be honest, you've been practicing martial arts again with grandpa weren't you?"

I stilled.

My parents were against me learning martial arts. Unfortunately in this world, men were the only ones who were allowed to become soldiers or adventurers while women were those in charge of the household and a few privileged few were under the field of medicine.

But... I was a black belt in taekwondo and jujitsu in my past life so my passion for fighting really didn't die down. It was a sport loved by both Aoi and I...

I shook my head. I shouldn't dwell too much on past memories of Aoi. It brought back unpleasant feelings.

"Hari? Are you ok?" my brother asked, snapping me out of my reverie.

I nodded.

"Please keep it a secret from father", said and brought out my ultimate weapon: the puppy eyes.

His eyes grew wide and he quickly covered a hand over his face – which didn't really do much since I could see a red tint covering his ears.

"F-fine", he sighed.

I smiled happily, quickly pulled his arm and ran with him in tow.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"To see father, of course! It's been a week since I saw him!"

"Oh! Wait there's something -"

Before he was able to finish his words, I let go of his hand and quickly dashed towards the figure of my father whose back was facing me and hugged him with both arms.

"Welcome home, father!" I greeted in a loud voice.

The man quickly turned around and smiled at me. He scooped me in his arms and carried me over his shoulder.

"My darling daughter sure is sweet", my father commented.

"Sweet and naughty", my mother added in a matter of fact tone.

I laughed.

My attention was caught by a boy who looked around my age who was standing in front of my father. For a child, he looked pretty. But that wasn't the reason why my attention was piqued. He had black hair and black eyes. A very common trait of the people from my past life.

"Who is he?" I asked.

"That's why I told you to wait. Why don't you introduce yourself first, sister?" my panting brother said.

I signaled my father to put me down. I stood in front of the boy. He was around my height. I smiled and bowed my head and stretched both of my arms at the side of my skirt.

"My name is Hari. Daughter of the wind chief, Bor and his wife, Hana. Haru's little sister. And you are?"

The boy looked shocked at my sudden introduction.

"Wow, you already mastered your formal introduction...Good job", Haru commented.

"Er..I am... Haku", the boy said and bowed his head awkwardly.

I smiled. It seems that he hasn't been taught basic etiquette yet.

"Hari, Haku here will be adopted by Tek. So be nice to each other, okay?" my father said and gestured towards his most trusted aide, Tek.

Oh.

So he's an orphan. That explains why he looks so awkward and shy. He strangely feels familiar for some reason.

Haku.

Where did I hear that name before?