Chapter 16: Simon

Chapter 16: Simon

    Simon traveled the rooftops, keeping a quick pace, his sword strapped to his back. In a little over an hour he was supposed to attend some big meeting with Vanning and Payne, along with a number of other freaks. First though, he'd received a summons from Lord Talen. He had no idea how long whatever it was the True Mind wanted him for might take, so he figured he'd better get there as soon as possible. After all, he didn't want to miss the meeting with Vanning either, because with the tension over his refusal to sell his larikin, he didn't want to give the guy one more reason to come down on him.

    When he reached the address he'd been given, he paused on a rooftop, surveying the street, looking for any sign of where the True Mind might be hiding. It was a rundown neighborhood, with few people in sight walking along the sidewalks, and even fewer cars passing by. Talen seemed nowhere in sight, and Simon was just beginning to wonder what he was supposed to do when he heard a sound from the alleyway next to the building he was standing on.

    Moving to peer down over the edge of the building, he came face to face with Lord Talen himself, who was staring up at him. Well, that explained why he hadn't been on the street. Without any hesitation, Simon stepped over the edge of the building, dropping into the alley and bowing his head slightly as he landed on his feet. "Lord Talen. You called me, m'lord?"

    "Yes I did. Do you know why Vanning has called a meeting for tonight, Simon?" Talen asked, leaning up against a wall as he watched him.

    "No, m'lord, they didn't tell me. I was assuming I'd find out when I got there," Simon answered, feeling a little nervous as he always did in the presence of a True Mind.

    "There's going to be a battle tonight, in another city. Hugh Masters is going to attempt to further expand his territory by annexing even more of Harken's. Vanning is going to move to stop that from happening. And he's going to conscript a number of freaks from this city, you included, to be his fighting force for the battle," Talen told him.

    Worry and fear immediately set in. A battle between freaks meant a battle that could actually result in Simon losing his life. He'd been considering opening himself to the risk anyways to take on Vanning, but unlike Evan and Alaine's offer, he had nothing to gain from a battle against Hugh Masters in another city. However, if Vanning demanded his participation up front, he didn't exactly have room to refuse. But that just left the question... "Why are you telling me this, m'lord?"

    "It isn't to help you escape fighting, Simon. No, this is one battle you must take part in. It's why I told you to bring the sword with you. I figured you'd want to have it, in the coming battle. As for my reasons for calling you here, we'll get to that in a moment. But first, I must ask. You'd like to survive tonight, yes?" Talen queried.

    "Of course, m'lord," Simon was quick to reply.

    "Then I have one very important piece of advice for you. I suggest you memorize it, and go over and over it again in your mind in the short time you have. When the battle starts, aim for the shadowstepper on the right. Don't think about it, just do it. It will improve your odds of making it through the night considerably," Talen stated clearly and calmly.