Chapter 5: Ryan

Chapter 5: Ryan

"So tell me again why we're continuing this combat training?" Ryan asked, watching Vryce as they both stretched a bit to loosen up.

"Your fight against Blaze likely isn't going to be the only fight against a freak you'll ever have. And odds are pretty good that your next opponent is going to be a lot stronger than Blaze was. If you intend on surviving that fight, when it comes, it might be a good idea for you to continue training. Remember that after the last time I trained you I told you that you were good enough to beat Blaze, but that you still had a lot to learn. And also remember that when we sparred, that time, you didn't even stand a chance against me. Now, I don't know if I'll ever be able to get you good enough to beat me or not, I might and I might not, but what I do know for sure is that I can get you a hell of a lot closer to beating me than you managed in that match. So, let's go through a few training sessions over the next week, you can see your progress for yourself, and decide then where you want to go from there," Vryce told him.

"Alright, and tell me again why exactly you're helping me so much?" Ryan pressed in a wry tone.

"I guess I must just like you for some reason," Vryce replied, seemingly amused. "Besides, it's an interesting time for this city. Things could get very rough in the future. Having an extra ally at a time like this never hurts."

"Is that what I am? An ally?" Ryan queried.

"Well, I certainly hope you're not an enemy. Or else training you to be a better fighter probably isn't going to work out too well for me in the long run," Vryce informed him, grinning openly.

"It'd certainly be more dramatic if I were. Then we'd get to have the epic teacher-student battle. But I don't think you have anything to worry about. For now," Ryan said, smirking. "So, how do you want to start?"

"First thing's first. I want you to come at me. I want you to spend the first few minutes just trying to hit me. And while you're attacking you should try to take note of how I move, of how I defend. Don't hold back, come all out, try whatever you can think of," Vryce instructed him, before taking up a ready stance, which for him was pretty much composed of just standing there casually.

Ryan took a glance around as he inhaled several long deep breaths, trying to get himself ready. They were standing in the middle of an abandoned building, the same one they'd trained in before. Since it was scheduled to be demolished later, it didn't matter if they damaged the place while fighting. Even if the people who came to tear it down noticed, they weren't going to complain.

Finally gathering himself, he took off across the room towards Vryce at a sprint, picking up speed as he went. Only now did Vryce lift his arms slightly, sliding one foot back a little as his eyes narrowed. As Ryan neared he quickly fainted towards Vryce's head with his left fist before lashing out towards the man's chest with his right. Vryce's hands snapped up, one hand grasping Ryan's fist as it came within a couple feet of him and the other hand locking over Ryan's arm just past his wrist. Then Vryce simply turned his body, using Ryan's momentum against him and flinging him towards the wall. Vryce didn't use much force, but Ryan was still moving fast enough over a short enough distance that he wasn't able to stop himself before he slammed into the wall. The plaster and wood cracked with force of the impact, and Ryan slumped to the ground. He was glad Vryce hadn't used his full strength or he would've gone clean through the wall.

"If you want to stand any chance of hitting me, you're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that. You made it downright easy for me. You let your speed put you off balance, you telegraphed your moves, and you made absolutely no effort to try and anticipate how I would defend. I didn't beat you there, you beat yourself. Focus, think it through. Now, try again," Vryce told him calmly.