Coral Reefs

Coral reefs only cover around 0.1% of the ocean, but support 25% of all marine life. Mostly they are found in warm, tropical waters, but there are some cold water reefs too. They are often called rainforests of the sea because of how diverse they are and how much life depends on them. Problem is, we are destroying them, consequently killing the animals that need them.

Roughly 50% of the world's shallow water corals are already gone and without urgent action, the world's surviving coral reefs could soon all but disappear.

Coral reefs face many human threats, but none bigger than climate change. Warmer ocean temperatures cause corals to lose the microscopic algae that produce the food corals need to survive- this is called coral bleaching, which is when the living tissue turns nearly transparent and they end up looking white. It can eventually kill a coral colony or leave it vulnerable to other threats.

Rising carbon dioxide levels lead to the acidification of oceans which makes it harder for corals to build their calcium carbonate skeletons and if the acid is strong enough it can actually break up existing skeletons. Scientists think that by 2085 the acid will be so strong, corals will simply dissolve. This may seem like a long way in the future, but for one reef in Hawaii, it's already a reality.

Coral reefs face more local threats too, such as overfishing and overharvesting and invasive species disrupting coral ecosystems. Even small things such as boat anchors not being placed carefully can have a damaging effect on the corals, or tourists throwing litter into the sea. Sometimes tourist resorts are built too close to reefs and can cause harm to them. Pollution from urban and industrial waste and sewage can also kill the corals through poisoning.

So why does it matter? You might wonder why it's so important to save them. If a few fish die, what's the harm, right? Wrong.

Coral reefs provide a crucial source of income and food for more than 500 million people worldwide and coral reefs also provide vital coastal protection. It's estimated that reefs reduce wave energy by up to 97% which provides a huge amount of storms, such as tsunamis. They also help protect areas such as mangroves and sea grass beds.

Extracts from both the plants and animals in coral reefs can be used to make essential medicines and treatments for diseases such as asthma, cancer, arthritis and heart disease. It's feared coral reefs will be completely wiped out from the globe before we get the chance to fully explore how they might be used in medical treatments and benefit our health.

So what can you do? Well, the easiest thing and the most beneficial is to simply reduce your carbon footprint (the total greenhouse gas emissions that you personally cause). There are many projects going on around the world to protect and conserve coral reefs which you can support too. Also just be mindful. If you live near a coral reef, or if you visit one on holiday, be careful how you treat it. For example, don't chuck your litter into the sea. Things as simple as that can make a big difference if we all do it.

Coral reefs are crucial to this planet. It's our fault they are dying, so it's our responsibility to put it right.

Written by DazzieSh