24 - Life Of A Hero

(TW: MENTIONS OF BLOOD)

Magic is fickle. It takes a lot of learning to get it under control. Magic is fickle. It can sometimes go haywire and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Magic is fickle, ever-changing and dangerous. Magic also doesn't last forever.

The news that the monstrous man called the Doctor has escaped jail comes like a punch to the gut. All these years Aurelia had been thinking that he was never going to escape; that the binding spell was everlasting. But it isn't, and so her aunt says. Nothing lasts forever and neither does magic. It pains her considerably that her spell was weak enough that the Doctor escaped from jail once more. A spell that lasted only for three-four years? Was that how weak she is?

Curses, hexes and jinxes...all lasted for centuries, only because their caster was a strong sorcerer.

So now, Aurelia feels like she is not. Is she weak?

Even with the Phoenix? Is she weak?

"I know you have questions," Clara says, noting the distress on her niece's face. The blame lies on her too for not keeping a tab on the Doctor. She became lax and that is how the man escaped. "But it's my fault that he escaped. I should have been watching him and keeping an eye on his activities. I didn't think he'd escape. After all he's nothing like the Joker or the Riddler slipping through Arkham's loose gates."

"I don't blame you," Aurelia replies, clenching her hands. "My spell was weak and that's why he escaped. That's on that."

"It's not your fault, kiddo. Trust me, it is not. You know how things are. At that time, you were only just getting used to the Phoenix. It's okay. We're gonna figure it out."

"How? The last time we caught him, you almost got captured."

"We'll do something. We'll figure it out together."