❝01; imaginary.

Heat crowded the room as the flames rose higher and higher, engulfing it from all sides. Ash-like books and hanged clothes, all sprawled on the floor. Curtains falling, cupboards and cabinets getting thinner, burning all contents inside it.

As smoke filled his lungs, Beomgyu woke with a start.

He cuffed and hiccuped, hugging his knees and covering his mouth with his bib as shock filled his eyes. His room was like a full-blown inferno, the flames reflecting his brown orbs. Sobs and cries escaped his beautiful mouth as he took in the situation of his room.

But at that moment, the door burst open, revealing a tall boy.

For a second, his worried eyes scanned the room taking in its full state, and landing on Beomgyu, who was wrapped up at the side of his bed, crying. The boy hurriedly went up to him, grabbing his thighs and wrapping it around his waist, his hands supporting the small boy's back.

And together, they left the inferno and headed outside, still clutching Beomgyu ever so tightly. They headed towards a brightly lit alley way and sat the younger down, the other bending his knees to level his height.

"Hey, are you okay? do you hurt somewhere?" The tall boy said as he grabbed the younger's chin with his thumb.

"N-no, i'm f-fine, thank you so m-much..." Beomgyu replied, still sobbing his heart out.

The tall boy heaved a worried sigh, "Its okay, I'm here..." he said as he hugged him.

Beomgyu felt safe and protected under the elder's warmth, forgetting the horror that happened earlier, forgetting the cuts and burns he did to himself, forgetting the world hated him so damn much, and most especially, forgetting that his family wanted nothing but to kill him.

"You son of a git, why don't you just die already! You're no use anyway, no wonder no one ever goes near you, who would want something so ugly!"

"Useless.."

"Good for nothing git.."

"He probably already went insane staying in this hell hole.."

" Yeah, but then again, who do you reckon cares?"

"Don't ever go outside your room, or else...who knows, maybe your imaginary friends can keep you company, like always. Pathetic!"

"...oh, and you don't deserve the light.."

And everything went black, including Beomgyu's mind.

Beomgyu buried his face at the crook of the elder's neck, taking in his warmth and feeling so thankful as this person had saved him from what was supposed to be his death.

For a second, it didn't seem like he wanted to die at all. All this time he had thought no one ever cared for him.
Heck, even his own parents don't care. Yet here he is, being hugged by a person who saved and comforted him, for the first time in his sixteen years of torture.

He smiled.

"W-who are y-you?"

The tall boy released the younger and smiled as well.

"Gyu, don't you remember me? I'm Yeonjun, your best friend. I've always been with you, even in the times your family beat you up, I was there to protect you. It's a good thing I came just in time to get you out of there..."

All this time he had thought no one ever cared for him.

Well, except for his best friend of course.

So what, if his one and only friend came from his imaginations?...

579 words