Chapter Fifty Three

Alejandro didn't know how he was going to sleep after Gabrielle's harsh words. Don't think he would ever be able to remove her from his mind... his heart. It was courage and torture of not expressing himself that got him finally confessing his love, that and the knowledge that she had not yet voice her approval to pursue Jake to save his friends, he wasn't going to leave England without telling her the truth or ....without her. It was a risk, he knew that, but he had suppress his feelings far too long. Sitting on the armchair, he pulled off his boots, stacking them neatly against the side of the chair, with his fingers entwined together he gaze into the fire. His father had thought him insane chasing a ghost, he tried everything to stop him. 'She might have been married by now?' 'Dead perhaps?' Those two questions Alejandro had known not to be true because he felt it – Gabrielle was neither but the last one that his father had said had come to be true. She didn't feel the same way. He had come prepared though, too woo her – make her his – but when she said— Alejandro swept a hand over his face, got to his feet and began getting comfortable for bed. With his shirt off, he trace the scar of where the arrow had pierce him. A sad smile grace his face, Gabrielle had saved his life –only to crush it.

Alejandro frowned, He would not think of her that way what he would focus on was the happier times with her and the kisses they share- especially the one she thought he had forgotten, he had formed some sort of hope, that she felt some affection towards him, at least based on that kiss. How very wrong he was. Slipping out of his breeches, he heard the noise of something colliding with the board flooring.

His mother's ring.

It glittered under the flames, the gemstone turning a different shade under the yellow glowing light. He reached for it, staring at it for a long moment and with a sigh he place it in the pouch on the nightstand and slip under the covers. Alejandro rested the back of his head against the pillow and close his eyes. He must have drifted off and possibly in a dream when he heard her voice.

"Alejandro?"

At first he ignored it, she wanted him to leave and now she wasn't going to leave him in peace. The voice was heard again and with a groan, he open his eyes. The noise in the hearth was quiet, telling him the need for more wood. He felt the chill in the air also and realized he left the window open. Alejandro need not worry about intruders when his men were on guard but the cold draft might freeze him to death.

"I can return if you want –"

He sat upright immediately. "Gabrielle?" She stood with her back against the door, in only her shift and dark curls falling over her shoulder.

Temptress.

"Did –what are you doing here?" He asked, eyebrows lifted as his mind churned with the fact that Gabrielle was in his room.

"I came to apologize – I didn't mean what I said." She said softly.

His heart thud frantically when she advance towards him.

"It's – I shouldn't have pressure you. It's my fault for--" His words died in his throat when he saw her profile so near. The wind ruffled her thin cloth and her thick hair, giving him a view of her round breast, her hands were hiding behind her back and eyes downcast, suddenly fascinated by her barefoot. "You shouldn't be here—you may leave, apology accepted." He continued hastily.

She looked over at the hearth. "We can talk, have a glass of whiskey?"

Alejandro looked to the ceiling. "This is a test isn't it?" Her soft chuckles filled the atmosphere and ignoring her amusement, he continued. "Gabrielle, I'm literary naked here." It was a grave mistake to say that for her eyes slowly travelled up his body.

"Good," she smile coyly, "Now I have you at a disadvantage, you have no choice but to listen -- Alejandro, I don't think I can ever love –"

"I thought you came here to apologize not finish shredding what's left of the pieces of my heart." He said sternly.

"If you interrupt me again, I would not just shred them but burn it and sprinkle the ashes at sea." Her jaw was stern but those green eyes shone with a hint of amusement.

"Why the sea?" He found himself asking with a smirk.

"Because you don't belong in London and--" She groan. "Don't make me stray from the matter at hand here."

He open his mouth to say something but her harsh scold, made him snapped them back shut.

"As I was saying, I never thought I could ever love someone, I didn't have the sort of lifestyle you grew up with—Love was never an option. It was weakness –I had no heart, I was..."she stare deep into his eyes. "I was inhuman...until I met you."

Gabriel took two more steps, sitting on the side of the bed, she reached, fingers lightly brushing against his hand before they settled there. She slowly looked up at him. "I want you Alejan--"

His lips found hers before she could finish the sentence, pressing against the fullness – the incredible softness. It was only meant to be chase but it lingered as he pulled her against him. She wrapped her arms his neck and by the time they pull away they were breathing heavily.

Alejandro couldn't believe she was actually here, in his arms. He brushed her hair behind her ears and gaze at her. She didn't say the words, only said that she wanted him but for only tonight? What about the other days? He wouldn't take her as a mistress or advantage of her if her heart wasn't in the same place as his.

He rested his forehead against hers. "I think you should go to bed now."

Her head reel back to glare at him. "No. I want you –forever." She placed her hands on both side of his face. "I... love you."

Alejandro didn't think he had heard correctly, his eyes grew misty. "You really mean that?"

"Yes." She nodded, frantically as tears fall from her eyes. "I lied when I said I didn't felt this pull towards you—you affect me is so many ways. Alejandro..." She looked deep into his eyes. "You changed me."

He kissed her again, pushing her on her back, he lifted his head and just stare at her, marvelling in her beauty. "You have no idea how much I love you and the thought of losing you scared me."

"I'm sorry." She touched his cheek tenderly, smoothing her knuckles along it. "I was scared too and the look on your face when I lie about my true feelings, made me realized that I could never let such a man leave my life."

His smile deepen. "You have make me so happy Gabrielle."

He brushed his lips against her temple then kiss the tip of her nose and her eyes close with a smile.

"Would you love me now Alejandro?"

"I don't believe I can stop myself." He whispered, her lips mere inches from his.

***
Don't forget to vote and comment
Thank you