Marry me

Lena's POV
I was done. I couldn't keep having a relationship with someone who was only half there or never there at all. Kara's Supergirl duties were ruining me and I could tell every time we were together she just wanted to curl up and sleep. And I get that. She's tired. But I'm tired of being in a relationship with myself most of the time. We had been together for 3 years and it was honestly amazing. The love, laughter and sex we have are all the best I've ever had in my life, and I can see myself spending the rest of my life with her. But I will not spend the rest of my life with someone who will spend half of her life with me and half of it thinking about other things.
I heard Kara land next to the car and hop in. We we're going to spend the day with Alex and Maggie and we were supposed to spend some time together before but she had been called into the DEO yet again.
She smiled at me and I gave her a small, defeated smile back. 'Hey.' I said, desperately trying to hide the disappointment from my voice.
'Hey babe!' She said enthusiastically obviously not grasping my tone which I was grateful for. 'Oh my gosh I just beat up the most fascinating alien. He had scales and huge wings and-' I couldn't help but let out a frustrated sigh as I swerved onto the highway.
'What's wrong?' Her eyebrows furrowed, causing a crinkle to form in between them.
'Are you not even mildly upset that you didn't come?' I said with a sad tone, not having enough willpower to turn cold on her and my love for her prevented me from doing so.
'What didn't I come to? I'm here now going to Alex and... oh' She trailed off having obviously remembered we were supposed to have plans before.
'You didn't even remember?' I heard the upset in my own voice and a large lump had formed in my throat.
'Lena I am so sorry. I- I was saving the city. I'm-'
'Save it. I- let's just get to Alex and Maggie's.' I said, knowing my voice had started trembling at that point and the downfall in it was evident.
'Lena no. Please. How can I make it up to you?' She said her voice laced with deep regret.
' I don't know!' I threw my hands off the wheel for a second with an exasperated sigh. 'I don't know. You're never here anymore Kara. You are never here. I know the city needs you but so do I.' I partially shouted, more upset than actually angry.
'I know. I know. How can I show you that I want to be here more. I desperately do Lena. I don't want to replace you with beating up aliens. How can I show you that?'
Deep down I had already forgiven her for missing out on our plans. I knew I would always forgive her no matter what. She could get away with anything and I'd still love her anyway. That's why 2 words came out of my mouth before I could even think about what they entailed.
'Marry me.'
She looked stunned. 'I'm sorry what?'
'Marry me.' I repeated, grabbing the ring I had tucked into my car's storage that I knew would come in handy at one point. I had to keep it there incase Kara accidentally x-rayed the house and found it and I had been waiting for the right time to use it but I guess this time will have to do.
I slowly brought it up to her eye level.
'Lena I..' before she could answer there was a screech of a car break in front of us. I swivelled back around to see it but what I saw instead was me and another car colliding catastrophically and everything turning black.
I woke up to see doctors all around me shouting at each other. The first thing I registered was pain. All over. I tried to look down but an oxygen mask was preventing me from doing so. I tried to lift my hands to get it off, but when I did, my left hand shot with an immense burn of agony. I quickly used my right to take the oxygen mask off and scream. The doctors had obviously not noticed I was awake and started talking to me all at once.
'Hey what's your name sweetheart?' One of them said. I couldn't think straight. I was trying to conjure up words to use but then one word popped into my brain.
'Kara' I said as I felt the darkness take over me yet again. The last thing I heard was 'Kara. She says her name's Kara.' I wanted to laugh and say 'no dummies I'm Lena' but I had passed out.
I woke up the second time to a dulled pain. They had given me painkillers thank god. My mind was slightly foggy but I suddenly remembered what had happened. 'Kara. Where's Kara?' I asked a nurse who was clearly talking to me about some medical stuff I wasn't listening too. God had she been hurt in the crash? Surely not she's literally the girl of steel. Still I worried. Where was she?
'Honey I think you're a bit confused you told us earlier your name was Kara? Are you now telling me you aren't Kara?'
'She's not Kara I am' a familiar voice called out from behind the nurse. The second I heard her I smiled, wincing slightly at the pain of doing so.
'I'm sorry do you know this woman?' She asked Kara talking about me.
'Yes she's my fiancé' Kara said confidently.
'Fiancé?' I felt a wave of happiness pass over me as she held up her hand with a ring on it and nodded. She smiled at me with a hint of worry in her gaze as she assessed my injuries, it being clear to me but not the doctor that she was doing an x-ray of my skeleton.
'Lena you broke your arm?' She said, walking over to my bed and sitting on the chair next to it.
'Hmm could've been worse.' I say playfully and stare down at her hand that holds the ring on it. Thankfully she had sat down on my right side so I could reach out and hold her hand. 'The ring looks good on you.' I smirked at the love of my life, and in that moment knew that no matter how much I had of her, it would always be enough for me.