You're my hero

Kara's POV
I was busy typing an article for CatCo when there was a large bomb being blown off somewhere in national city. Alex spoke through my earpiece as to where to find it and what to do about it. I subconsciously nodded even though she couldn't see it. I quickly excused myself to myself I guess because there was no one else around and went into a back alley to fly off without being noticed. I had ripped my Kara clothes off just before taking off and soared to where Alex had said the bomb was. When I became apparent of my whereabouts, I realised it was a small enough building for me to grab everyone out of before it all came tumbling down. I swooped down and quickly grabbed citizens out of the building and put them safely on the next street over. I focused in on the building and heard one more voice.
I raced in and saw a little boy in the middle of a room clutching onto a ragged teddy.
'Hey little man. We've got to get out of here come on.' I said in a soft, gentle voice trying not to scare him even more so that he already was.
He looked at me with a confused expression and then frowned. 'No I don't want to go with you.'
He said in a determined voice.
I chuckled to myself and went along with his game, 'why not mr?'
'Because you're mean.'
I faked shock, hoping he would come around quickly otherwise the building would collapse on top of us. I knew I could survive it but he definitely wouldn't.
'And why am I mean?' I asked politely with a smile.
'I saw you on tv. You were putting out fires but you couldn't save everyone.' I remembered the day as when I loose people I can never get it out of my head.
'Buddy sometimes I can't save everyone. Even I have my limits.'
'Then you're not a very good superhero then are you. You suck.' I silently watched him. No kid has ever said that to me. I was fine with getting it from adults who've lost a loved one because I wasn't there in time but not children. They were supposed to be trusting and love everything and everyone around them. I wasn't used to not being liked and it stung.
I closed my eyes briefly from stopping the tears from flowing. Pathetic I know but his words hit deep. What if I wasn't good enough?
'Come on.' I choked out as the lump in my throat grew ever bigger. He angrily grabbed onto my arm knowing I was his only hope of getting out. 'Fine but this doesn't mean I like you.' He said grumpily. I set him down with the other people I had gotten out and looked down at the boy.
'My mum told me you shouldn't be trusted by the world. Should you be trusted?' He asked.
'I honestly don't know.' Was all I could muster. A whole family have been talking about me. About how I can't save the world. They aren't wrong. More and more people are dying in my arms and I can't do anything about it. Does no one realise my power has limits too? I felt new tears prick my eyes so I took off before anyone could see. Before I knew where I was going, I was going there.
Lena's POV
I sighed at my computer, struggling to come up with a speech about supergirl and aliens in general I had to perform in a months time. I had to make it seem like I wasn't totally in love with the girl behind the suit but every draft I have is showing just that. It doesn't help that Kara keeps asking about it. I can't make it obvious that I am actually in a relationship with Supergirl. I have to make my speech something that doesn't show the entire world that I am madly in love with the girl I am talking about. It's more difficult than expected. My day was clearly not going to be very productive so I turned the wide tv I had in my office on. My lips turned into a smile as I saw the familiar streak of blue and red fly through the sky and into a small building. The camera zoomed into the building and waited as Supergirl didn't appear. My breath was caught in my throat. Why hadn't she gotten out of there? Thankfully, a couple of minutes later she came out with a small child and placed him on the ground. The camera zoomed into their interaction. For any citizen watching the news, they saw Supergirl place him down and then say goodbye happily. But I knew Kara. The crease in between her eyebrows was present and I knew something was bothering her. As she flew off the ground and away from the boy, I unlocked my balcony door and called a take away place to deliver some food up to my office. Having been with her for 2 years I knew when she was upset, and this time was no different. I awaited the awful image of Kara sad. She was known for her smiles and overall joy but when she let it slip, which was only with me and Alex, she could be extremely mournful over even the smallest death she couldn't save. With the weight of the world on her shoulders, I got why she couldn't deal with some mistakes she made. So I was always there for her and this time wasn't going to be any different. I sighed slightly as I saw the red dot get closer and closer to my balcony. Her expression was unreadable as she travelled through the air, clear to me she was putting on a brave face for the media that may be watching. That instantly changed when she walked through my balcony door and into my arms. Large and forceful sobs racked her body as I pressed her against me. I know better than to speak yet, and simply let her understand her emotions before I comfort her with words. Instead I only hugged her tightly as she wrapped her arms around my back with strength and buried her face in my shoulder. I felt my blouse slowly get wetter and wetter as more of her tears stained it. I carefully directed her to the couch, never lessening my hold on her and she never lessened hers on me. I slowly bent my knees and hoped she'd do the same otherwise we'd be in an awkward position. Thankfully, she let me guide her to sit on the sofa as well, still clinging to me for dear life and letting her cries echo throughout my office. I guided our bodies into a horizontal position so it was comfier for her and she pushed more of her body into mine, clearly desperate to know she's not alone. So I spoke for the first time,'I'm here. I've got you.' I left it at that as she buried herself further into me and sobbed progressively louder. I knew it wasn't my words that made her more upset, it was her mind catching up with what her body had already processed. I cautiously threaded my fingers through her hair softly and held her tighter. We stayed like this for god knows how long as her sobs subsided and she was left whimpering as she caught her breath. 'It's okay. I've got you.' I repeated several times into her hair and kissed her forehead. When she had calmed down enough to breath without crying, she started to speak.
'I-' I looked down at her and could see in her eyes that I was going to possibly be here all day. My point was proven when she tried to say another word but it came out as a choked sob. Without moving my body much, I reached over to the table that my phone was on. 'Thank god i had put it down on my table and not my desk' I thought as I scrolled through my contacts, still having a firm arm around Kara. I stopped at my assistant and texted her to cancel all of the other meetings I had scheduled today. Typing with one hand was way more difficult than I thought but I knew I couldn't take my arm away from her otherwise it will only make her worse. So I stuck with it and 7 minutes later I had also successfully texted Alex saying Supergirl wouldn't be able to complete any more missions today. I had also added that Kara was physically fine as without it, Alex would've feared the worst for her sister. After that, I placed my phone back down and proceeded to wrap the arm I was using to type back around Kara. She whispered a small and fragile 'thank you' in between the weakened whimpers that were slowly getting quieter. 'Hey it's fine. I'm always here for you babe.' I whispered back knowing she could hear me however I said it. An innocent and vulnerable smile plagued her lips for a few seconds. That was a good sign. I loved that I could make her smile. Obviously everyone made her smile but not like this. This smile only came from her when she was weak and brought down by something. It showed that I strengthened her again. At this point I knew it was time for me to speak. My way of making her feel better always went like this and I had learned when and where it was appropriate for me to talk or hold her or whatever.
'We can talk about it...' I trailed off when she firmly shook her head and let out a small 'no'. 'I had a meeting today. It was boring and long and didn't really have a point to it. But you know what I was thinking about throughout it all?' I asked her, trying to avert her mind from whatever was causing it pain. She said a quite,'What?' reassuring me I had got her attention.
'Ice cream. I was thinking through all the possible flavours and wondering if there was any way there could be ones people haven't made up yet.'
I could tell she was listening more now as she was looking up at me as I spoke. I could see her eyes focusing on mine and then my lips that were moving.
'So I started to think of new flavours and there are a few that I think would be pretty good.' I continued.
'Tell me about them.' Kara said in a soft voice. I grinned slightly. This always works with her. She'll talk to me about what got her upset later, but right now she wants to talk about ice cream. So we talked about ice cream. For hours it seemed I talked her through the flavours I had thought of and throughout it, she gave me a few ideas. By the time I had ran through the potential flavours, she had stopped crying completely. Somewhere in between all of it the delivery man had come in and placed our order on the table. I knew it had run cold but there were props to having a girlfriend with heat vision. After Kara finished talking about her additions to my flavours, we ate and I saw her slowly returning to her happy self. I put on a movie and brought her in my arms for the second time today, waiting for her to pause the tv when she wanted to talk. A few minutes in she did just that and sat up a bit more to face me. For a couple of seconds, she just stared at my face and I gave her a quick kiss to reassure her.
'I-I was saving this kid today.' I nodded for her to continue.' And he said he didn't want to be saved by me. And it all sort of hit me that I am not liked. I save people and they still don't like me. I-I guess it's because I can't save everyone. I don't know how I can save everyone Lena.' She looked at me with hopelessness in her eyes.
'Darling,' I cupped her fave with my hand,' you can't save everyone. Not everyone wants to be saved and not everyone can be saved. It's not your decision to make.' She nodded, knowing deep down I was right.
'You know,' she said with a grin,' you save me. All the time. You're my hero.' I grinned back at her and pulled her in for a longer kiss.
'I'll happily be your hero any day.' I whispered before pressing my lips to hers again.