6

MARINETTE

"Okay, I understand that my actions that day calls for disciplinary punishment but must it really be adding someone to the team? And she also happens to be your girlfriend, Nath?" I mutter, crossing my arms.

Nath nudges me with his elbow, keeping the grin on his face. "Hey. That's better than probation, right?" He utters through his teeth. We both continue to watch his girlfriend, Chloé Bourgeois, talk with our other teammates at the other side of the ballroom. "Now stop fussing over it and smile. We are here at a nice resort by the beach, attending the dinner the president prepared in celebration of his birthday."

"This event doesn't mean that we need the help of your girlfriend now. I think you're finding an excuse to bring her out."

"...it sounds like you're bitter," he mutters, losing his smile but averting his gaze from her.

I cock my head when I notice something new with him. "Hey, your ears are turning the same color as your  hair," I teasingly point out. I playfully pinch the tip of his ear and he lets out a small yelp.

"H-Hey!" He bashfully cries out. "Stop it! You've had a fixation with ears for the past days. Why is that?"

I tense up with his statement, my hand mid-air from pinching him again. "W-What?" I utter nervously, "I...I've never had a fixation with ears."

"Yes, you do." He slaps my arm away, regaining his composure. "And it was so sudden. You would start pinching our ears whenever you wanted to tease us."

What? But, why?

I knit my eyebrows together, racking through everything in my mind that relates to my 'attraction' with ears. No one ever mentioned it to me. Is it because I'm their boss? Why would they never tell me? And what is with me and my sudden fixation?!-

Oh.

Now I remember.

I curse myself.

Do I really have a fixation with ears because of that night with Agreste?!

I scrunch up my whole face in utter embarrassment then cover it with my hands. I let out a groan that Nath picks up immediately.

"M-Marinette?" He stammers. "Are you okay?"

"Leave me to wallow in my shame," My cry comes out muffled.

"Uh...is she okay?" A new voice joins in our conversation and I shoot my head up to look at the new person. Nath's girlfriend peers closely at me with concern in her eyes. "Hey, you okay?"

"Chloé, when did you get here?" Nath asks but she dismisses him with a single wave of her hand.

"Just in time to see the boss distressed. Now, shut up. I'm not talking to you."

"O-Okay," he utters in a meek manner, not even feeling hurt with her words. He even allows her to loop her arm with his.

Now I become intrigued with her attitude. Nath is a very calm and soft, like a sheep. On the other hand, Chloé is straightforward and rough, like a wolf. Yet, they eventually found something that brought them together, which is surprising.

"Miss Dupain-Cheng?" She asks again, "Are you okay?"

I nod at her and let out a small smile. "O-Of course!" I stammer then clear my throat. "I am really fine. I just...remembered a very displeasing memory."

"Oh, does it still trouble you?"

"N-Not at all!" I force out a giggle. "Don't worry about me! I should be really watching over Mister Nordic now."