Chapter 2: KAREN

"A non-compete clause"

Janine's kitchen was perfect.  Well perfect for Janine that is.  It resembled something Martha Stewart would have if she was a Primary School teacher who had a fetish for takeaway.  There was a small yet practical table, a lovely violet tablecloth, three chairs, convenient, a white vase and flowers that may or may not be plastic. The shelves were stacked with plates and cups and there was small fridge that fit perfectly into its special nook.

That was Janine. Small but practical. She was always the practical one of the family. I've always been jealous that she inherited that particular trait from dad. While I tend to fall in it and keep falling in it.  As I contemplated on my life thus far I failed to notice the smoke billowing out of the toaster, quickly filling the room.  I snapped out of the musing and swore violently.

I rushed around like the Mad Hatter opening up the closest window and fanning the smoke out using a magazine.  Swearing in a low whisper while looking down the hallway, toward the bathroom where both Janine and Neville shared some private time with each other.  I then checked the ceiling searching for a smoke detector and but found none. At least that's something not worrying at the same time.

I unplugged the toaster and picked up the butter knife I was using to butter the toast.  I sighed heavily.  I'd be forced to perform a complicated surgery.  I had flashbacks as a child as I played Hasbro game "Operation".  My skill was legendary.  To this day I still remain Family champion.  I insert the knife and wiggled the blade to do my bidding.  The toast popped with ease. Another successful surgery.

"Is something burning?" Janine shouted through the door.

"The fucking toaster is broken." I screamed out to Janine.

"What did you do to my toaster, Bitch?!" Janine screamed back.

"It's not me! Everything is coming out charcoal!" I said holding up a charred piece of toast.

"Did you change my fucking settings on my toaster again!" Janine asked.

"No!" I replied knowing full well that I had. I placed a healthy spread of butter over the toast to hide my . . . eagerness to please.  Done the perfect crime.  I smiled at my ingenuity.

"Breakfast is up." I shouted placing the plate on the table. Slightly overdone Toast and luke warm instant coffee. The breakfast of champions.

"Don't worry about breakfast, Neville and I are going out. Are you ok for a ride?"

"Yes. I'm going to walk it." I said looking at the table set for a King and going to waste.

"What?" Janine asked again.

"I said I'm walking!" I replied louder.

There was a lot of swearing and cursing coming from the bathroom and then a door opened. Janine walked out, her robe wrapped around her, her hair wet and tangled, walking toward me with a state of purpose.  It was kinda intimidating watching her walk toward me looking so serious. She reminded me of a Mother Bear coming to protect her cub.

"Whats up?" Janine asked concerned.

"Nothing I'm fine." I replied. More of a automatic response than a honest one.

"No, really what's up. Think about it first then reply?" Janine said.

I opened my mouth and then looked at her. She was reaching out. It was unexpected. I thought about the last six months and inhaled. I choked back tears.

"How did you know?" I asked her.

"Our family may have its quirks but walking is not one of them." Janine said using air quotes.

"How am I supposed to feel?" I said sighing heavily and taking a seat at the table. Janine followed suit. "I was a Lawyer, a decent one! I could have . . .!" I stopped.  Holding back the torrent of emotions that were yet to be vented. Janine reached out and held my hand. "Now I'm a waitress."

"A very terrible one if this table as anything to go by. . ." Janine said smiling.

"Fuck you!" I said laughing out loud and playfully slapping her hand away.

"Hey I'm only assuming! Today is your first day." Janine added gently. " isn't there anything, another firm . . .?"

"No. I have a noncompete clause in my contract." I sighed.

"What does that mean?" Janine asked.

"Means I can't be hired by anyone for five years . . ."  I said sighing.

"But he was the one . . .!" Janine cut in.

"I know, but they offered me a big fat bribe . . . and I took it." I confessed.

"Seriously? How much?" Janine asked curiously.

"Enough to be debt free and completely broke." I told her.

"A waitress. ..?" Janine questioned.

"What's dads rule on employment?" I asked her seriously.

"A job is a job until you get the job you want!" She rattled off casually.

"A job is a job until you get the job you want."  I said as I got up.

"You two finished bonking in the bathroom?" I asked in a matter of fact way.

"We are not bonking, for the record, we are making sweet, sweet love." Janine said with a satisfied grin.

"So yes?" I asked.

"Yes . . .oh and don't use the flannels . . . any of them." She said turning a hint of scarlet.

"Noted." I said walking toward the bathroom.

"Oh shit, wait?" Janine screamed as I opened the door and walked in. For the second time in one day I meet Neville in all his glory.

"Oh shit!" I said avoiding my eyes from Janine's boyfriend. "I'm so sorry . . . again".

"We have to stop meeting like this."  Neville said trying to cover the un-coverable.

"Karen!" Janine screamed rushing to the bathroom.

"I'll be in my room, not remembering."  I said rushing to room covering my eyes.

_____(OvO)_____