Chapter 7: KAREN

"First day and unexpected news"

And so began my day. I did ok. Screwed up a few orders but some of the customers welcomed the entertainment, and all this under the watchful eye of the Dragon lady. I have to call her something else or I'm going to have Game of Thrones stuck in my head. By lunchtime I thought my feet were going to fall off. My first break wasn't long enough. By the time I had to get going again, my feet were throbbing constantly. I sighed heavily and pushed on through. By the end of the day I was spent, but in a good way.

I had a full on humming feeling all over my body. That, and a surge of adrenaline you get, when you finish a long hard day at work. I could already feel the shower at home washing away my aches and pains. I entered the women's locker room and undid the top two buttons on my uniform. I felt instant relief. As I left the locker room I bumped into the Dragon lady. We looked at each other like some sort of standoff.

"I have to apologise. I may of come across as a tad gruff. You were on time . . . My son's timetable was not. The last person my son hired . . . let's just say it didn't go so well . . . unfortunately there's a history of poor judgements that . . . well. You did well for a first day. Your start time is 7.00 a.m. The breakfast crew. It's busy but constant".

"7.oo a.m." I said with a smile.

"See you tomorrow." She said with a nod.

I walked out the door all tired and aching, on to the streets jammed to the hilt of with Wellingtonians also making their journey home. The wind picked up suddenly as it always did this time of day. It was chilled, unwelcoming. Unfortunately I didn't bring a coat and it seemed to know it. Fucking wind I thought wrapping my arms around myself. My pace quickened. The bus stop was in sight and its glass walls promised shelter from the wind. I blended into the waiting crowd, soaking up as much warmth as I could, but receiving none.

"Hey you're new girl, yeah, you're the new girl at the Dine and Sip." A voice said behind me.

I turned around and was greeted by tall man with dirty blond hair. His face was covered in a trimmed beard which made him look older. His eyes were brown but seem to shine brightly. They almost looked familiar as if they reminded me of someone. He was wearing track pants, steel cap boots and a faded blue denim jacket. He smiled warmly. He definitely remembered me but for the life of me couldn't remember serving him.

"Oh hi, I'm sorry. It's been a long day and everyones faces tend to blur . . .together." I said lamely.

"No, it's ok. I get that. If it helps, I ordered a steak and kidney pie and got fish fingers in a curry sauce. It was strangely delicious." He said smiling broadly. Others surrounding us seemed to join in with his merriment.

"It was my first day!" I said defending myself, yet not being in the mood to defend myself.

"No offence. I know that first days can be hell. You have my apologies." He said, still smiling warmly, but not in a mocking way.

Given any other day, I might have tried my flirt on, but today, my feet and the cold won out. Before I could reply a harsh wind blew in from a different direction. The group as a whole groaned in displeasure.

"Fuck me." I said though clenched teeth. The crowd laughed. That's when I felt warmth wrap around my shoulders, beautiful, god given warmth. It was a welcomed contrast from the cold.