Chapter 5: BARON

"Business as usual"

"Sir, if you'll come this way, we can process your papers."

I stood and approached the man who had spoken to me.  He was fairly short and wearing the standard attire for staff.  He had a buzz cut and goatee that reminded me of a man I once knew who could catch flies with his chopsticks.  He directed me to the counter where I stood while he went around the other side.  I watched as he checked over my passport and details.

"Your luggage has already been through the scanner.  Do you have anything to declare apart from what you've written, Sir?"
His brown eyes bored into my skull, searching for untruths like a lie detector machine. I suppose they've seen and heard a lot and were always observing people.

"Everything I have listed is with my luggage as indicated."

He gave me one last look and stamped my passport.

"Well, you're fine to leave Sir.  If you go through the main doors and follow the arrows on the floor, it'll lead you out to the major terminal.  You can collect your luggage in the area just through the doors.  You have a pleasant day now."

I grunted and turned.  As I exited the doors, I saw my luggage and parcels sitting on a trolley so grabbed it and proceeded through the hallways until I saw a sign that showed where I could leave.  I walked into an area I call the shadowy cloister, high covered ceilings reminiscent of a gallery, and wound my way through the crowd.  Up ahead I saw Rodney, my personal assistant.  He wore his usual blue pinstriped suit.  I knew he had several identical suits, but that was Rodney, predictable, just the way I wanted my PA to be.  I caught his eye and watched as he came jogging up to me.

"Sir, good to see you.  Let me take that."

By 'that' he meant the trolley with my luggage and I was glad to let him take over. The trolley reminded me of these new breeds of PC faring fathers who liked to push their babies around in strollers, declaring to all the world their SAHD status.  I shuddered at the thought.

"You have a management meeting in two hours. I have blocked out the rest of your day and left the proposals on your desk. They require your signature. Sir."

"Good.  I'll debrief everyone on China first. Proposals second." A frown creased my forehead as I considered..... "When I'm done, I'll head up to apartment suite. No disturbances. Only emergencies."
Rodney arched his eyebrow, lips parted.  He was about to respond, but changed his mind and slammed his lips shut. "Ok sir."

As we hurried through the airport terminal, I was again thankful for Rodney's perceptiveness.  He understood the 'less is more' and only spoke when necessary.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The automatic doors parted and my driver was standing next to my Audi A8L. My mouth stretched into a smile of pleasure. She was magnificent, with a long sleek exterior and an interior covered in the finest leather. The driver greeted me and opened the rear door. I looked over my car before I slid inside.  The scent of mint permeated the air, and I relaxed into the seat as it cushioned my body.  My mother believed that the properties of peppermint stimulated one's mind and enhanced concentration and focus. It worked for me, and I was more attentive. I insisted the scent be in spaces I inhabited during the day.

Rodney sat in the front beside the driver. This was my car, and I enjoyed sitting alone. In fact, I didn't like people encroaching on my personal space. I insisted on maintaining social and professional distance at all times. There were only two situations I'd allow anyone close.

The purr of the car's engine soothed me, and the drive to the office was smooth.  We parked in front of Toa Towers.

"Neon, drop my luggage off at my house. Lenora will sort it out. There are some packages and gift bags. Leave them in the car, I'll be driving myself this afternoon."

"Yes sir, I'll bring this girl back all clean and polished."

I inclined my head, and Rodney opened the door. The building in front of me was a stark reminder of all my hard work. As I stood on the curb, I thought about the acquisition. Considered prime real estate, I'd secured ownership of the Corbel building in the heart of Wellington over ten years ago. My company, Toa Group, had been living in it for the last five years.  I renamed it Toa Towers, with my name was in large block letters along the top.  I adjusted my tie and cricked my neck.

Satisfied with the exterior, I stepped toward the automatic doors. My footsteps made a satisfying clip clop sound on the concrete and tile pavement.  The doors slid apart, and I entered the glass-encased structure. The reception area catered to various tenants we had in place. I scanned the lobby, my eyes searching for anything out of place. I insisted this atrium be modern with neutral overtones. There was greenery dispersed to take advantage of the light, giving it a garden like feel. The result was eye catching and pleasing.

The interior decorator strategically placed furniture and plants to cater for the busy environment. There were leather sofas with matching oak tables for visitors to rest, and plants to add a splash of vibrant colour. We had a lot of foot traffic through the lobby. The attraction being Squisito, the popular restaurant run by an Italian family. A boisterous, friendly family who immigrated to New Zealand five years ago. Their restaurant was on the ground floor and it had many access points, including a direct entrance from outside.

Just like the name of the restaurant implied, the food was delicious. The mouth-watering aroma enticed all passersby and staff working in Toa Towers to visit regularly.  Marcello, the patriarch of the Magro family, sent meals to my office regularly and insisted I didn't pay.  He never forgot I financed their restaurant. It was a risk for a start-up business, but his passion and knowledge of food convinced me to back him.  He had shown me his treasured family heirloom, a book of recipes passed down for two hundred years. Unlike some business acquaintances, Marcello Magro had integrity, and he had repaid the loan within the first two years of occupying the ground floor.  Last year, Marcello purchased an enormous block of land and built several houses to cater for their extensive family.  Marcello turned his family land into a colourful miniature village called Il Villaggio di Magro.

"Good morning, Mr Toa."

A sweet voice belonging to an employee greeted me from behind the reception counter. I couldn't place her name or face, so I turned to Rodney.

"Her name is Moana. Sir. New employee, two weeks".  My P.A leaned in and whispered the information into my ear.

"Good morning, Moana. The lobby is looking good. Well done." Her eyes went wide and her face turned red.

"Thank you, Sir, have a pleasant day." She gave me a demure smile. A shy woman, no matter her age, is attractive. It was an excellent choice to place her as the first point of contact. I returned a quick smile and cast my eyes toward the lifts. It was time to switch to business mode.

_____(OvO)_____