Chapter 3: KAREN

"The future waits for no one"

Once I got the all clear from a very disgruntled Janine, I quickly showered avoiding all the flannels as per instructed. I stepped out feeling refreshed if not a tad damp. I wrapped a towel around me. I looked into the mirror only to discover it was fogged up so I wiped condensation off the surface and looked in the mirror. It was still me. A waterlogged version of me but me nevertheless.

Short pixie brunette hair, slim athletic build and without makeup positively average looking I thought. I placed my hands on my hips and turned on a slight angle and performed a reasonable impression of a duck face. My lips puffed up like those god awful selfies one finds on the inter-web. I giggle at my stupidity and pose again. This time I did an over my shoulder pose that seems popular with teens.

"Stop posing in the mirror and get your ass ready for work!" My sister shouted from the kitchen.

"I'm not!" I lied. I swore softly to myself. It's like she could read my mind sometimes. Collecting my belongings and going back into my room.

I found fresh underwear and put them on. For the life of me I couldn't find a matching bra so put on the first one I found. I stopped, paused, took in the moment. There on my bed was my uniform. Burgundy with yellow stripes above the rim of the pockets. It was truly a terrible colour. It was truly a terrible uniform. It had a V neck that if the wearer wanted to, could reveal a lot of cleavage, unfortunately.

I quickly dressed and was about to re-enter the bathroom when I paused and knocked. I wasn't taking any chances this time. When I received no answer I quickly entered and tried to match my makeup to my outfit. After 5 minutes I screamed for help from my sister. We stopped, paused, and took in the moment. We looked at each other and nodded. No make up in the world could fix this dress and so I didn't.

We both run down stairs and jumped into Janine's red Honda Accord. Neville, who sat in the passenger seat, was ready and waiting. I jumped in the back and buckled myself in. I sighed deeply. I felt nervous. I felt something. As Janine started the engine my heart skipped a beat. Here we go I thought to myself. I gripped my seat belt as we began to roll out of the garage and into sunlight. I closed my eyes and basked in the morning sun.

The morning traffic was manageable, still bumper to bumper, but the traffic flow was moving. Karen remembered the last six months in Auckland like it was some perpetual nightmare. The getting up three hours earlier or you'll be stuck in traffic for the next three. Then the cost for an apartment was diabolical. There were five of us living in a 2 bedroom shack. Not appealing at all.

The motorway chested the hill leading into down town Wellington. From here we could see Wellington harbour leading into Cook Straight. You could also see the boardwalk, The Wellington Stadium, ASB stadium and of course Te papa Museum. All within walking distance of each other. Even the attitude here was less stressed and I knew in my heart I could live here. Start a new.

After twenty minutes we came to a complete stop directly outside Doris's Dine n Sip. Classic American Cuisine and Coffee House. It was built to resemble a silver trailer, a truly traditional looking trailer from the early 1920s. Janine and I stared at it with mixed reactions. Janine looked at it with contempt and loathing while I saw the possibility of hope. Sure it wasn't a law firm but it was a new start and that's what I needed right now.

"So what does it look like?" Neville asked.

"A giant dildo." Janine said bluntly.

"She's kidding. It doesn't . . ." I stopped mid sentence. Fuck me she's right. "It looks a bullet train." I added unconvincingly.

"Are you . . . ?" Janine began.

"Yes, I'm sure." I interrupted her. I reached out from the back seat and placed a reassured hand upon her shoulder.

"It was either this or Meat Ball Girl in a supermarket." I admitted.

"Well you do have that special quality." Janine said with a smile.

"You know what, thank god for you Neville, she used to be a right bitch before you came along. You must be a calming influence on her." I said sarcastically.

"Was?" Neville said with a smirk that almost made me forget that I'd seen him naked today.

Janine gave Neville an affectionate slap which he endured with a smile. I watched them briefly. She gazed at him like there was no one else in the world and he smiled like he hadn't a care in the world. As much as I wanted to stay at Janine's apartment, I knew I couldn't stay long. They had a future together and the way they were going at it, probably have a child on the way soon.

I smiled to myself. Aunty Karen. The normal one. The cool Aunty and so young looking too and beautiful. We could have tea parties and play grown ups.

There would be a million and one things we could do. I knew that wouldn't last long, not with our mother. A woman who dedicated her life to sucking the joy out of all things young and youthful. With a grandchild she would suck the essence from them and live forever.

"What are you smiling at?" Janine asked looking into the rear view mirror and directly into my eyes.

"You won't get it. Back seat humour." I said my smile becoming wider.

"Fine. Get out!" Janine said bluntly.

"Have a fun and productive day, dear sister." I said as I got out and closed the door. An instant later I jumped back in and hugged Neville, giving him a peck on the cheek, and did the same to Janine.

"Get out you bitch!" Janine said laughing.

I turned back one last time. Janine had that look on her face. The I'm worried but I know you'll be ok look. I grinned back and waved before I turned around and strolled toward my new place of employment. All signs of a grin were gone. I was worried. It could be first day nerves but it could be doubt. What the hell am I doing here? Was this a the right call or should I be a Meat Ball Girl for the supermarket. I guess we will wait and see.

____(OvO)_____