Chapter 9: KAREN

"I know you from way back"

"Two for Tuesday can be hectic, that's why we're here now." A deep voice said. As I turned around, I was greeted by three gentleman and one of them happened to be Max. I smiled in recognition.

"Max!" Doris said in enthusiastic greeting.  The elderly man beside Max stepped forward and smiled broadly.  I paused. His name is Max too?

"Doris, you Minx, give me a hug!" He bellowed loudly arms spread wide.

"No can do, Max. You know my rules. You can only order what's on the menu and I'm not on that menu." She replied smiling.

"Oh if only, Doris, if only. I'd order to takeaway." He grumbled with a lopsided grin.

"The same as usual?" Doris asked raising her eyebrows toward the trio.

"You bet, Doris. Oh all except the boy who wants . . . The hell do you want, son?" He asked looking toward Max. It amused me that his father still called a thirty year old man a boy.

"Fish fingers and curry sauce please." My Max said with a smile.

"Two steak eggs and chips, one fish fingers and curry sauce and three coffees straight, coming up." Doris finished.

Max Junior was the splitting image of Max Senior except that Max Senior was at least twenty-five years older, had a well used pot belly and was greying at the temples. Senior Max however was clean shaven and in his day would have been a handsome man. I looked at young Max and wondered why he grew his beard and what he was hiding under that scruff. Then I remembered the jacket and rushed to my locker.

Max Senior lead the way to a table followed by Max Junior and Bud Walker, friend to all, singer of songs and man of the people. His words not mine. He was tall, thin and hairy except for his head which was bald and wore thick lensed glasses that sat upon his large bulbous nose. He looked to be in his mid to late fifties and seemed a man who wouldn't tolerate fools and no hopers.  So obviously I liked him.

"So where's this girly you keep gushing on about?" Bud croaked absently rubbing his nose.

"Girly? What girly? Jesus it's not that Blond thing that works here is it? Terrible woman. Reminds me of your Aunt Sue, sourpuss extraordinaire, that one!" Max's dad mumbled.

"No, I'm not gushing. I let her have my jacket yesterday afternoon at the bus stop." He said calmly shuffling nervously in his seat as if trying to get comfortable.

"Oh hell yeah! It was cold as a polar bears ass during winter yesterday!" Bud said shivering at the memory.

"Who? Cathy?" Old Max asked curiously.

"Ummm no I don't actually know her name . . .?" Max tried to say before being interrupted by a loud squeaking-door.

All three men turned to the sound as I walked out. I must of looked a mess and grew uncomfortable under their scrutiny. Strands of unkempt hair covered my left eye which I tried to blow out of the way and became annoyed at the rebel strain that refused to conform. I smiled broadly and walked toward them, holding Max junior's in hand. By the time I reached the table all three looked . . . Off.

"Hi and welcome to the Dine and Sip." I said in waitress mode.

After two days I had learnt waitress mode. It's like a voice you use but only at work.  Sharp, professional with the hint of conversation but in a user friendly kinda way.

"Hi." The three gentlemen said in unison.

"Thank you so much for the use of your jacket yesterday. You literally saved me." I said sincerely in waitress mode for just a second and giving him a grateful smile.

"You're welcome." He replied simply, his eyes sparkling, his smile easy going. I found myself biting my lower lip and stopped myself.  I'm working I told myself.

"I also have good news and bad news. The good news I washed it. The bad news it's changed colour." I said cringing.

"Wait? What?" Max Junior said confused.

"Your jacket changed colour. Sorry." I said, more submissive than I wanted to. Max held up the jacket and inspected it.  It had certainly changed colour. In direct sunlight it looked violet.

"How?" Max said perplexed.

"A combination of Nappy San, Tide and Sunlight Liquid." I informed him like some idiot high school girl caught in the act.

"Isn't Sunlight Liquid a dish washing detergent?" Max Junior interjected.

"Yes but it gives a lovely lemony smell. Besides I like the bubbles when it drains in the sink. It's like every bubble has captured a rain . . . bow." I admitted standing on one leg twisting on the ball of my feet, my hands behind my back feeling guilty as fuck.

"Sunlight Liquid you say?" Bud said pondering.

"Its an old family secret." I whispered loudly in a conspirators tone.

"Ill take it to the grave, girly." Bud said smiling, giving a wink and tapping his nose.

"Not your fault little lady." Max Senior told me."It's always been that colour."

"What?" Max and I said together.

"Ok before we start the story I think we need to do some introductions. I'm Max Ellis. The 3rd in fact, owner and operator of Max Ellis Mechanic Shed. This distinguished looking corpse to my right is Bud Walker . . ."

"Cough . . . Cough." Bud interrupted with a very fake cough.

"Forgive me . . . Bud Walker, friend to all, singer of songs, man of the people . . ."

" . . . and pain in the butt!" Max Junior finished for his father smiling.

"Hey! No embellishing on my good name!" Bud said with practice dignity.

"Dad lost a bet." Max Junior said with a smirk. I shook my head and smiled at the fact that men are stupid no mater what age.

"And you obviously know my son Maximilian Nathanael Ellis the Fourth". Max Senior concluded.

I went to open my mouth but someone beat me to it.

"This particular young lady is Karen Wells. It's her second day on the job but she's shaping up to be an asset to the team." Doris interrupted as she and Cathy carried three plates between the two.

"Gentleman, two steak, eggs and chips, and Fish fingers and curry sauce." Doris said introducing their meals to its new owners.

I quickly went to the counter and gathered a  tray containing coffee and served the to the trio.

"Before we eat . .." Max Senior said lightly nudging Bud who was trying to shove a chip in his mouth and missed.

"Jeez, what are you trying to do! You could have taken an eye out! How you gonna explain that on an ACC form?!" Bud said grumpily.

Doris motioned for me to sit beside Max Junior and he accommodated me in a boyish yet charming way. Doris and Cathy made themselves comfortable at the counter.

"Now that we aren't strangers anymore I can tell you the tale of this here jacket. There's a price though." Max Senior said looking up into Doris smiling face and winking.

"There always is with you, Max, but lunch is on me. Only if this is a good story!" Doris said with a dubious look upon her face.

"Good! This is the greatest story of my life. This is the story about how Mildred, the owner of this very jacket, became Max's Mum." Max Senior announced in a grand fashion.

"I'm eating my chips!" Bud said grumpily.

_____(OvO)_____