𝟏𝟎

"I'm fucking exhausted," I said as I plopped down on my bed. We had just gotten back onto the ship after a very long day in port. After swimming with dolphins, which was amazing by the way, we ended up doing the zipline that was at the same place as the dolphins. Of course, my mom got many pictures of us all flipping upside down as we zoomed over the trees. After that, we went downtown and walked around, looking at the little shops they had. When we were all finished, we collectively agreed to head back to the ship. So here we are, absolutely exhausted and ready for a fat nap.

"What time is it?" Logan asked.

"8:30," Charlie responded.

"Can we go to the teen club tonight?" Logan asked.

"Sure," Charlie said as he began to stand up. He hesitated for a moment. "Why don't you and Kyle go down there? Ellis and I need to talk for a minute."

I internally groaned. I know what this "talk" is going to be about.

Kyle stood up and nodded at the door to signal Logan to follow him. When they were gone, Charlie walked over to my bed and sat down as I laid on my back with my arm draped over my eyes.

"You like him don't you?" He spoke.

I sat up abruptly, ready to deny it. I opened my mouth but Charlie beat me to it.

"Don't even try, Ellis," he said. "Anyone could see it."

"I don't like him like that though," I said.

He gave me a look as if to say, "yeah, sure you don't."

"I mean, yeah I think he's cute, and yeah I think it's totally swoon-worthy that he gave me a nickname, and yeah I think it's really exciting he keeps asking to hang out one-on-one, but I don't like like him," I said confidently.

"C'mon Ellis, you can be honest with me. I'm your best friend," he said while nudging my shoulder.

"I know," I said while nudging him back. "I'm just, UGH, I'm conflicted," I told him honestly as I stood up and began pacing the room.

"What about?" Charlie questioned gently.

"I think he's cute, obviously, but I don't trust him. I mean he seems like a genuine guy, but I don't really know him, I don't know any of the basics. What's his favorite color? Or his favorite food? Biggest pet peeve? I don't know any of it. I mean we met four freaking days ago. I don't have legit feelings for him or anything. I've equated it to a small 'cruise crush.'" I told him finally.

He nodded, mulling over the words that I just spoke.

"And that's all it ever will be," I added.

"You are right about the 'cruise crush' thing. I know that you don't have feelings for him, not this soon, I know you, Ellis. I know that you don't usually trust people that easily. Just be careful with him, he's told me some things about himself that you might not know and I want to make sure that you're safe," he told me.

What did he know about Jayden that I don't?

I pushed those thoughts aside and focused on the conversation.

"Don't worry, Charlie. I'm smart enough to keep myself safe," I told him.

"I know you are," he said as he pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his torso and he wrapped his around my shoulders.

"You know I love you right?" I asked him as I tilted my head back to look at him.

"Of course," he said as he hugged me tighter. "I love you too."