All Things Revealed

The time had come for enacting the final phase of his plan. He could feel the excitement and anticipation humming in his blood. Most of his adult life had led to this moment. He thought back to the moment when his mother had finally told him the truth of his biological father.

She had lain on her death bed, all the life and vitality sucked from her by the cancer. The doctors had found out about the brain tumor a little bit too late for any effective treatment plan. The chemo had just bought her a few months. He was barely out of campus when this happened.

“I have something I need to tell you Mark. But you have to promise me not to get mad at me.” She had said, her voice feeble.

“What is it? I don’t know if there is anything that would make me mad at you now mother.”

“Promise me Mark. Promise me that you won’t let this eat you alive son.” She pleaded with him.

“I promise mother,” he said, tears streaking down his already puffed face.

“It concerns your biological father Mark. Paul isn’t your biological dad.”

“What do you mean!!” his voice rose several octanes higher.

I’m sorry baby. I’m sorry to do this to you right now. But I cannot rest in peace until you know the truth.”

“You can’t be serious. Who is it? Who is it damnit?” he had asked her lividly.

“Kanyi, you and Jayson are half-brothers." The truth had hit him like a truckload of concrete. “Does he know?”

“Yes.”

“But he doesn’t care enough about us to give a damn!” he barked at her and left the room, shutting out his mother’s pleas and cries for forgiveness.

He flinched as if in pain as he remembered this particular episode in his life. He made some more calls to some colleagues before leaving for the Kanyis. Everything was falling into place just as he wanted it to.

                        ********************************
Elizabeth looked around the dining table at her family. She was grateful to have them all under one roof despite the circumstances that had brought them together.

She had requested they have a thanksgiving dinner as a family. Kanyi had moved back to the compound, though he stayed in a spare bedroom within the main house. This was after a lengthy discussion with both Charlie and Val. She didn’t like the arrangement one bit but she decided to keep appearances for her son’s sake.

“Come on, let’s say Grace, “ chipped in Val, disrupting her chain of thought. “Charlie, do you mind?”

“Okay, let’s pray. Lord we thank you for the meal before us. Bless it as you bless the occupants of this table. We thank you for Jayson, who we almost rest but is now making a recovery. We thank you for the gift of each other. And we ask that you
“Amen.” They said in unison.

“Now, let’s eat before the food gets cold,” Elizabeth said. “ And before I forget, Mark will be joining us in a while.”

The food was passed around the table. She and Charlie had made mukimo, a favorite dish amongst the family and chapatis. Val had made beef stew. It wasn’t long before the meal was cleared and Val brought out some white wine.

She poured each of them a glass and raised her glass. “Here’s to Jay’s recovery, and to family. Cheers.”

“To Jay and family,” the rest repeated after her.