16

Assassins strode through the streets in their uniforms of silk and weapons. The younger ones tried to climb the gold-lined buildings and were challenging others with wooden weapons, despite their parents' scolding. Streeters dressed in simple white clothes that were little more than rags clamored around squares and the sides of Assassin houses or offices. Occasionally, I spotted wealthier Streeters amongst the crowd in intricately woven designs, sparkling jewels, and sharp weapons that would've made them blend in with the Assassins had it not been for the white wristband that marked their identities. Birds swooped through the streets in arches, their bodies black against the gray clouds.

It took much longer than before to walk through the streets of Cressida as they were much more crowded in the afternoon than at the break of dawn, though the increased city life could've been due to the beating sun being hidden behind the thick clouds, something which must've felt like a miracle this high up in the sky with little to no shade. I was certainly grateful for it as the buildings sparkled less, easing my sleep-deprived eyes.

The crowd thickened as we journeyed farther into the city, and I only realized we were a few yards from the glass walkway when mist sprayed up into my face. My stomach danced as we pushed farther through the crowd. Looking over to Axe at my right, I noticed how he seemed completely unfazed, bored even.

"You're not enjoying the city?" I asked.

He shrugged. "It gets old after a few visits."

"You've been here before?"

"Yeah. My parents brought me to play with the kids once in a while when they attended meetings. Didn't yours?"

I shook my head and muttered, "Whenever my father offered, mother always found an excuse to keep me at home."

Axe nodded, thankfully ignoring the hint of annoyance in my voice. "So this is your first time?"

"Second. Remember the other mission?"

"The one where you came back home to a dead body and ingenious man in your room?"

"I think it was rather a Damien-Kingston-wannabe-asshole, but yes, that seems accurate."

Damien looked over his shoulder at the mention of his name and grinned. "We talking about me?"

"No," Axe at the same time I said, "Yes."

Damien raised an eyebrow and hung back to walk beside us. He leaned down and loudly whispered, "Does he have a crush on me?"

I nodded, going along with the joke as it was something Nydia would've done, which earned her a spot as one of his best friends. "Huge crush."

Damien laughed and Axe rolled his eyes. "She was trying to falsely accuse me of being a Damien-Kingston-wannabe."

"Well you are," he said.

"I am not!"

"Don't be embarrassed. It's better than wanting to be Xavier Kingston."

"You want to be me," Xavier called back from ahead.

"Shots fired," Axe laughed under his breath.

"He's right," Nydia confirmed.

"No, he's not. Shut up."

Nydia stopped and turned around so quickly, we almost crashed into her. She glared, placing her hands on her hips. "Excuse me?"

Damien stumbled over words. "I, um, I just meant to politely ask if you would kindly consider leaving the conversation to not waste your time with our useless talks."