12. Succesful reunions

Lang Estate, 4 pm 

"Really?! You do know that it was me that was next to you on the frontlines," I furrowed my eyebrows, not believing what they were doing

"Gentleman, this is not how we treat one of our own!" Eddie, the head of personal security, pushes past them to stand in front of me, gesturing to the guards to lower their weapons. When they do, Eddie commands them to return to their positions and then he turns back to me, walking alongside each other to the front of the house, "Nice to see you again Miss Lang,"

"Miss Lang? Okay Eddie, I know I've been gone for 2 years but we're still family," I say to him with a smile

"You're right," He chuckles, his face slightly turning red before pointing between me and the guard that stood at the entrance of the house, "You know the drill,"

The guard (Asim) steps forward and I lift my arms out to the side. He begins to wipe the metal detector he had over my arms,

"So how's Veronica doing- and little Layla, how old is she now!" I ask Eddie as Asim moves to my legs.

"They're both great, Layla is going to become a big sister actually," Eddie beams at me, overjoyed at becoming a father again,

"WHAT!," I say (shout), reflecting his joy before turning around to face the other way so that Asim could check my back, "How far along is she?"

"Any day now," I turn back around when Asim clears me and I see the excitement radiating off of Eddie,

"Aww, congrats Eddie," I walk up to him and give him a hug, "I'll be sure to send a gift,"

"Thank you," His voices come out soft as he puts a hand on my back. He then escorts me inside and takes me to the centre of the house where I see my uncle sat on the couch.

"Aha, there she is!" My uncle stands up as soon as he sees me, his arms wide open.

"Hi, Uncle," I say with a smile on my face when I get closer to where he was. Our hug doesn't last long- as it usually does when we hug each other. Yes, we consider each other family but our relationship was never a sentimental one. In fact, I was surprised when I saw that he was inviting me in for a hug; I was expecting him to shake my hand. 

"Whiskey?" He asks me when the housemaid comes over to pour him a glass.

"No thanks, I'm driving but I could do with a coffee," I give her my warmest smile only to be returned with a bitchy look as she walks past me towards the kitchen, "What happened to Sonya?"

"She retired," he answers before taking a drink of the warm liquid in his glass. 

I stop watching the new woman walk away and snap my head towards my uncle, eyes wide in fear. He almost chokes on his drink when he sees the look on my face, 

"Relax," he chuckles, "I didn't have her killed, she actually did retire,"

I relax back into the couch when a guard emerges from the East wing corridor behind my uncle. He nods his head at Eddie and carries on walking past me, towards the West Wing of the house. I take note of this in my head, noticing that the patrolling schedule hasn't changed.

"So, how's the government life treating you?" Ricki asks me.

"Its okay so far, struggling a little with one guy after relocating from Boston, but other than that its good," I say as I awkwardly nod my head

"Does this guy need to be taken care of?" He raises an eyebrow at me

"Noooo, please do not interfere," I say, laughing a little, "Plus I'm handling it,"