24. Unsteady

Honolulu Harbor, 3:25 am

The ringing in my ears instantly becomes louder when I come to my senses. My eyes open up to a world that looked sideways and a warm, squishy feeling under my head. When the grenade exploded, I was thrown into the side of a car and was knocked out. I don't know how long I was laying in this position but it was long enough for my back to stiffen up, the ache becoming more prominent when I lift my body up to rest against the car. I press the palms of my hands onto my head as I feel the consequences of crying pulsate in my temples. After doing nothing to ease the headache, I look to my right to see who's lap I was resting on. I'm met with a comforting embrace in the arms of who I consider as a sister. I was the first to pull away but she kept her grip on my shoulders as she spoke to me. Aisha's mouth was moving but I couldn't make out what she was saying, it was like the lip-reading game except I didn't need the noise-cancelling headphones or music blasting into my ears. Still not understanding her words, I turn my head to observe the muffled chaos that was happening in front of me.

Agents were walking in all different directions; a group of them escorted a 9-foot long rectangular box to a military truck, one person in the group was carrying a little black briefcase which I assumed was the 'nuclear football'; a different group was climbing down from the ship, I spotted one of them showing his partner pictures that were on the camera he was holding. I then look over at the clearing and see Steve, Anderson and Danny stood together with other SWAT agents. Steve makes eye contact with me and excuses himself from the group. I slowly stand up when I see him walking over, the ringing in my ear got quieter but it was still there.

The strides that I take towards him are short compared to his. It looked like he was gliding over the concrete whilst I hobbled to meet him a quarter of the way. When we get closer, I walk straight past him, not listening to what he had to say. I could barely hear him anyway. Leaving Steve behind me, I walk over to where Guy's body was. That's right, was. My steps slow down with every shallow breath I take and the tears rush into my eyes.

"Hey, you should have a medic check you out," I turn around and see Adam, his features getting caught in the moonlight.

"Where is he?" I don't register his words and point to the pool of blood that seemed bigger than before.

Adam drops his gaze to the floor and his shoulders slump. Reacting to his body language, I take a step back, a truly horrific image crossing my mind,

"Oh my god did he -"

"No no no," Adam shortens the distance between us, "Agent Needham saw a few of Ricki's men take his body just after the explosion happened,"

I should have been relieved by this but I couldn't stop my heart from breaking into a thousand tiny shards. He was no longer 'Guy', just a body. A lifeless one.

"Where?" I ask him

"Into one of the cars. With everyone fleeing to take cover they managed to get away and Jerry lost sight of them after they went into a tunnel," he explained to me, his eyes attentively watching out for the telltale signs that he knew too well.

"We need to go," I huff, The ringing in my ears finally subsiding.

"Go where?" Anderson says from behind me, him and the others in the group relocating to our position. I get numerous looks of sympathy as a circle was formed around us. I hate it. I hate sympathy. I hate pity. I hate feeling weak, curse my puffy red eyes.

"To the house, everything we have is there. Ricki won't go anywhere without stopping there first," I fold my arms across my chest, creating a barrier between me and everybody else.

"Alright, we'll need a warrant," Anderson says

Sighing at his response, I unfold my arms and start to walk away, "We don't need a warrant, I own the house,"