Drugs are too expensive

Keefe POV:

The question came out of the blue.

I was used to mood swings, I lived with an alcoholic, after all, so I wasn't sure why Sophie's question had caught me so off-guard. In the time I was spending with her though, I was starting to realize that Sophie Foster wasn't the type to beat too much around the bush.

Still, I stared at her dumbfounded for a few seconds. I knew precisely why I had never taken a liking to her though. You know when you're just a kid and you walk into your first day of class and for no reason at all you just don't like someone? That's how it started. My dislike towards her grew over the years in the same school though. By high school she had won every award, aced every quiz and exceeded in just about any sport. Meanwhile, all the teachers hated me and I'd gotten my fair share of suspensions. So it was resentment. Jealousy towards her perfect life. Anger to how good she had it in so many ways when I was stuck in my shoebox of a house with an abusive mother and no father.

She didn't have to know that though.

"I don't hate you," I replied instead.

She stared back at me, unsatisfied. "Keefe..."

I turned back towards the television, hoping she'll drop it. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about how miserable my life is.

"Do you want to at least tell me what's going on with your mom?" Of course.

"No."

A pause.

"Please?"

I heaved a sigh. If there was any word to describe Sophie, it would be persistent. Determined. I would use annoying. "What do you want to know?"

"Well..." Sophie started. Her voice grew tight again, as she seemed to realize this was none of her business. But she continued, as I knew she would, only having the decency to lower her voice shyly. "Is it... drugs?"

I grabbed hold of the edge of my T-shirt, fidgeting. Twisting it over and over in my hands. "Nope." I laughed a little, but it sounded strange and garbled, even to me. "Alcohol. Drugs are 'to expensive', as she likes to say."

Sophie was quiet for a moment, her breath the only sound in the room. "And your dad?"

"Overdosed when I was two."

I shrugged, playing off my anger and betrayal I felt towards him as indifference. I couldn't even remember why I was telling her this.

Instead of offering the 'I'm so sorry' line though, Sophie stayed quiet. She scooted a few inches closer and leant her cheek on my shoulder. Somehow it felt so much better. I pulled the blanket tighter around the two of us, once again turning my attention to the gruesome scene flashing across the bright screen.

What was the expression everyone always spoke about?

Ah, yes- The calm before the storm.

Sorry for the long wait and the short chapter! Have a super summer!