After 1 o'clock

Sophie POV:

I don't really know how long we sat there, me with my head resting lightly on Keefe's shoulder while he kept his gaze fixed on the now dark TV screen, as if he thought that if he didn't look at me, I would forget him. Probably easier said then done after all he had revealed about his life. Okay, maybe he hadn't 'revealed' that much, but it seemed like a lot for someone like Keefe. Someone so guarded and independent. I guess I was just so surprised he had even told me that. Even as he did, I had felt like I was being caught doing something I shouldn't be- which rarely happened.

"You wanna go to bed?" I asked, lifting my head from the groove between his shoulder and collar bone.

He looked at me, a smile just barely bracketing the corners of his mouth. "Why? You tired already?"

I pulled the blanket off him, wrapping myself entirely in it and flopped onto the couch, shutting my eyes. "It's like, midnight already."

He sighed. "Fine... be that way."

Before I could reply, my phone started buzzing in my pocket loudly. I knew it was my mom again, so I didn't even bother checking. "You gonna answer?" Keefe asked me, looking pointedly at the area where my phone was buzzing.

I shook my head and squeezed my eyes tightly shut. "No. Just go to sleep."

I felt the couch shift as he settled into a more comfortable position, head on the other side of the couch.

As tired as I was though, my eyes couldn't seem to stay closed. It felt odd sleeping while someone from my school was right there. I felt exposed. At school, I always took time on my appearance, making sure to always be put together. I had to be. It was how I was elected for student body president, how everyone took me seriously and how I planned to get into a good college. Appearance- first impressions- they were everything; at least that's what my mother had always trained me to think. So letting myself relax and slip into an unconscious state made me feel too vulnerable.

I got up and walked to my room. Keefe let out a little grunt of surprise but didn't do anything more. Why would he?

☆ ☆ ☆

My eyes flew open. I looked around, confused, then remembered I had moved to my own bed last night. Last night. Wait no- it was still night, I realized, looking out my bedroom window at the pitch dark sky. I checked my phone that had several missed call notifications from my mom. It was exactly 1:00 am.

My face scrunched up in confusion. I was the type of person that went to bed early and always slept all the way through the night, very rarely ever waking up before 7:00. So what had woken me?

I figured it was just because of the fact that Keefe Sencen was in my house and fell back onto my pillow. But less then a minute later, I heard a key turning in our font door and shot up from my bed, racing to my window. Sure enough, my mom's glinting blue car squatted in the driveway. So her motor had woken me. And she was entering the house while I stood here, contemplating how I had woken. While Keefe lay, sleeping, on my couch downstairs.

My clock switched to 1:01 am.

My heart switched to double speed.

I sprinted out of my room, flying down the carpeted stairs that led to my living room. "Keefe," I hissed. "Keefe, wake up!"

I jumped on top of him, shaking his shoulders violently. He startled awake looking at me, confusion etched all over his features. "Wha-"

Then the door opened. I scrambled off of Keefe as quickly as I could and turned towards the sound. My mom stood there, hand to her chest, eyes wide. Too late. She had seen him.

Actually, I was pretty sure all she saw was me on top of a boy in our family living room.

Wonderful.

Thanks to all of you for reading!! Comment how many siblings you have!