Cafeteria

Sophie POV:
I piled some mashed potatoes and beans onto my plate and shuffled out of the cafeteria line. A group of senior girls waved me over to their table. The volleyball team. In my high school it was custom to sit with whatever club or sports team you were involved in, so even though I was part of the student council, the improv club and the soccer team, I usually just sat with the volleyball team. Mostly because that's where all the hunky football players sat, but hey- who can blame me?
I made my way through the crowded cafeteria and over to the long table of giggling girls. "Hey Sophie!" One of them shouted- Anastasia.
I sat down and suddenly the table got uncharacteristically quiet. Megan, the captain swung her bright green to me, examining me to the point of uncomfort. I chewed a bean slowly. "Hey," I said weakly.
Then a huge smile broke out across Megan's face. "Spill girl!"
I frowned.
Phredom, the girl to my left sighed. "You've been spending time with keefe sencen!!!!!"
Her last words came out in one long squeal.
After I deciphered what she said though, it took my face less than a second to burn bright pink. Whatever defence I had had, was gone in a second, because my traitorous pink face had given me away.
Rebecca yelped. "I knew something was going on!"
"Nothing is going on," I corrected. "I'm just working on the newsletter with him!"
"Okay," Megan said slowly. "Your face says otherwise though."
I shook my head.
"Huh. I never thought a goody-two-shoes like you would ever notice someone like Keefe," Angela commented.
I glared at her and mumbled something about being not good.

.  .  .

I open the front door and walked slowly inside. "Mom?"
No answer. My mother hadn't been back to the house since the 'incident'. My father has been away on a business trip and my brother had slept over with friends last night, so the house had been oddly quiet. I sighed and made my way to the kitchen, pulling out my homework. A knock sound at the door, making me jump. I was always a really skittish when I was home alone. Aren't we all? I made my way to the front door and opened it. But no one was there. Checking in the mailbox for any packages, I took deep breaths. "Calm down, Sophie." I whispered.
I made my way back to the kitchen shrugging it off. But halfway there, I heard tapping on the window and a loud, masculine laugh coming from outside. My heart kicked in overtime and I quietly slid my way under the couch awkwardly. I snatched my phone from my back pocket and called my father, knowing my mother would not pick up. No answer. Shit. My second thought was to call the police. But I didn't want them to think I was overreacting, So I dialled a number I now knew by heart. On the second ring, a gruff 'hello?' Sounded on the other side and I nearly cried in relief. "Keefe, I think there's a man trying to break into my house."

Happy Halloween everyone!! 👻 🎃 Sry for the wait!