━━ chapter VII.

..

[ έκπληξη ]
surprise

RUBY PALACE
NIGHT : 08:45 + PM
POV: ATHANASIA

RUBY PALACENIGHT : 08:45 + PMPOV: ATHANASIA

..

HOW PECULIAR ―― ever since lily had returned from the empress' palace , she couldn't stop smiling , and was acting very weird . she wouldn't let athanasia get anywhere near the garden , and kept her trapped in the recreation room . not just that , she had also dressed athanasia very beautifully .

haa . . . sighing , athanasia plopped down on a big fluffy cushion placed on the floor . what was the point of dressing up ? her birthday wasn't really celebrated after all .

and athy didn't really mind it , after all it wasn't like she always did something special on her birthdays . even in her previous life , birthdays never really mattered to begin with . she was too broke to actually spend anything on herself , neither did she have a family . so it wasn't exactly a big deal .

but the small gestures of the maids itself were enough for the girl . it was more than anything anyone had done for her in past and she was happy .

from door left slightly ajar , she could hear the other maids excitedly whispering to themselves , mention of the new empress coming more often than not .

the new empress , as athanasia had expected , kept to herself . at first the princess had decided to charm her just as she had done with all the royal palace's staff , but when arriving in inca empire ― the rumours about the eckart princess being a wicked woman scared her . to add to that , when faced with her father's bride , athanasia couldn't help but feel the rumours were true .

she'd smiled at the older woman to wish her luck ( along with her brother , sir reynold ) and she didn't even smile back ! she looked cold , and distant . not to mention her presence wasn't one of a friendly person either ; Penelope Eckart was an intimidating figure who seemed to have a wall of ice surrounding her .

so when the new queen decided to keep to herself and not pay athanasia any mind ― and was slightly relieved even . better indifferent than hateful ― she thought .

but this . . . had the empress gained the staff's favour ? The princess wondered , insecure over the fact that her six years of hard work would be gone to dust if she decided to take the staff on her side .

tch ―― lets not think about it for now ― at worst , i will be left alone . that wouldn't be too bad ; athanasia mused , carrying on colouring the portrait of herself and felix she'd been working on since two days . it isn't like she felt dejected on being ignored by everyone on her birthday anyway .